This Clymer B722 repair manual covers 1990-1993 Mercury 2-stroke outboards, including:
Book Excerpt: 1990-1993 Mercury Outboard 3-275 HP Repair Manual
- Mercury 3 hp, 3.3 hp, 4 hp, 5 hp single-cylinder
- Mercury 8 hp, 9.9 hp, 15 hp, 20 hp, 25 hp 2-cylinder
- Mercury 40 hp inline 4
- Mercury 50 hp, 60 hp, 75 hp, 90 hp inline 3
- Mercury 100 hp, 115 hp inline 4
- Mercury 135 hp, 150 hp, 150XR4, 150XR6, 150XRi V6
- Mercury 175 hp, 175XRi V6
- Mercury 200 hp, 200XRi, 250 hp, 275 hp V6
BREAKER-POINT IGNTION TROUBLESHOOTING (1990-1992 3 HP MODELS)
PRIMARY IGNITION COIL TEST
Breaker point contacts are normally light gray in color. Dirty breaker point contacts should be cleaned with a suitable contact file. Do not use emery cloth to dress or clean breaker point contacts.
Badly burned or pitted breaker points should be replaced (Chapter Seven). Badly burned or pitted points usually indicate a problem elsewhere in the ignition system such as a defective condenser, improper point gap adjustment or oil or other contamination on the contact surfaces. Refer to Chapter Seven for breaker point replacement and adjustment procedures.
STOP SWITCH TEST
If a no-spark condition is present, disconnect the stop switch and recheck the spark. If acceptable spark is now present at the spark plug, test the switch as follows:
- Connect an ohmmeter between the disconnected stop switch wires. See Figure 10.
- With the switch button not depressed, the meter should indicate no continuity.
- Depress the switch button while noting the ohmmeter. With the button depressed, the meter should indicate continuity.
- Replace the stop switch if test results are not as specified.
The primary ignition coil is located under the flywheel.
- Remove the flywheel as described in Chapter Eight.
- Refer to Figure 10 and disconnect the primary coil black / white wire.
- Calibrate an ohmmeter on the R X 1 scale. Connect the ohmmeter positive (+) lead to the disconnected black/white wire and the negative (-) lead to the coil ground.
- Primary coil resistance should be 1.5 ohms.
- Replace the coil if resistance is not as specified. See Chapter Seven.
Clymer Marine manuals are well-known for their thorough coverage for outboard motors. The Clymer B722 will undoubtedly help you do your own service and repairs on your Mercury 3-275 HP outboard so you can save. It has over 600 pages packed with repair instructions for all of your outboard components and systems, including wiring diagrams.
Pick up this fine manual. It is loaded with detailed step-by-step procedures with hundreds of diagrams and exploded views to enhance understanding of the repair steps...
Subject: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Mercury Outboard 3-275 HP service and repair procedures.
ISBN-10: 0892875682 | ISBN-13: 9780892875689 | Clymer B722