This Clymer repair manual covers 1995-2006 Mercury Mariner four-stroke outboard motors, 4 HP through 90 HP including:
- Mercury Mariner 4 HP, 5 HP, 9.9 HP
- Mercury Mariner 15 HP
- Mercury Mariner 25 HP
- Mercury Mariner 30 HP
- Mercury Mariner 40 HP
- Mercury Mariner 50 HP
- Mercury Mariner 75 HP
- Mercury Mariner 90 HP
Book Excerpt: 1995-2006 Mercury Mariner 4-90 HP Four-Stroke Repair Manual TROUBLESHOOTING
WARNING SYSTEMS The warning system alerts the operator in the event of a cooling or lubrication system failure. Another feature of the warning system provides engine overspeed control. Should the engine reach or exceed a designated engine speed, the CDI unit or engine control unit initiates an ignition misfire to reduce the engine speed. Continued operation with the warning system activated can lead to serious and expensive engine damage. Refer to Warning System Operation prior to testing any components. This section provides a brief description how the system operates and the components used. Refer to System / Component Testing in this chapter for warning system test instructions.
ELECTRICAL AND IGNITION SYSTEM
JUMP STARTING Jump starting provides the capability of starting the engine with a severely discharged battery connected to a fully charge one. Jump starting can be dangerous, however, if not performed correctly. Never attemp to jump start a frozen battery. Always check and correct the electrolyte level in each battery before making any connection. A significant risk of explosion exists if the electrolyte level is at or below the top of the plates. Always use a good pair of jumper cables with clean connector clamps. Keep all clamps totally separated from any metallic or conductive material. Never allow the clamps to contact other clamps. Follow Steps 1-6 when making jumper cable connections.
- Connect the jumper cable clamp to the positive terminal of the discharged battery (1, Figure 12).
- Connect the same jumper cable clamp to the positive terminal of the fully charged battery (2, FIgure 12).
- Connect the second jumper cable to the negative terminal of the fully charged battery (3, FIgure 12).
- Connect the second jumper cable remaining clamp to a good engine ground, such as the starter ground cable (4, Figure 12).
- Make sure the cables and clamps are positioned so they will not interfere with moving components.
- Start the engine then remove the cables in the exact reverse of the connection order (Steps 1-4).
Subject: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Mercury Mariner 4-90 HP Four-Stroke service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1620921545 | ISBN-13: 9781620921548 | Clymer B710
- General information
- Tools and techniques
- Lubrication, maintenance and tune-up
- Engine synchronization and linkage adjustments
- Fuel system
- Electrical and ignition system
- Power head
- Manual starter
- Power trim and midsection
- Remote control
- Wiring diagrams