The 2004-2011 Mazda3 Repair Manual by Chilton, covers models powered by a 2.0L DOHC (Dual Overhead Camshaft), 2.3L DOHC or 2.5L DOHC inline 4-cylinder engines.
Power from the engine is transmitted to the front wheels via a 5- or 6-speed manual transaxle or a 4- or 5-speed electronically-controled automatic transaxle.
The brake system comes with discs on all four wheels, with power-assist as a standard feature. An Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) comes standard on some models.
Book Excerpt: 2004-2011 Mazda3 Repair Manual
VALVE COVER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Remove the battery cover and disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal (see Chapter 5).
- Remove the upper engine cover, pull the cover up from each side and lift the cover off the mounting posts in the center of the cover. Remove the individual ignition coil assemblies from the spark plugs (see Chapter 5).
- Disconnect the electrical connectors for the oil control valve (OCV) for the camshaft sprocket variable valve timing actuator (if equipped), cylinder head temperature sensor and the camshaft position sensor.
- Remove the bracket for the wiring harness on the valve cover stud, and then set the harness aside.
- Remove the engine oil dipstick.
- Working progressively, unscrew the valve cover retaining fasteners in reverse order of installation (see illustration 4.11), and then withdraw the cover.
- Discard the cover gasket. This must be replaced whenever it is disturbed. Check that the sealing faces are undamaged.
INSTALLATION (Refer to illustration 4.11)
- Clean the cover and cylinder head gasket faces carefully, and then install a new gasket onto the valve cover, ensuring that it is positioned correctly.
- At the top of the timing chain cover, apply a small bead of RTV sealant to the joints where the valve cover and timing cover meet the engine.
- Install the cover to the cylinder head, ensuring that the gasket remains seated as the cover is tightened.
- Tighten the mounting bolts by hand in sequence (see illustration). Once all the bolts are hand-tight, tighten the bolts in sequence to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
- Reconnect the battery.
- Run the engine and check for signs of oil leakage.
DOOR WINDOW REGULATOR AND MOTOR | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
POWER WINDOW MOTOR
(Refer to illustration 17.3, 17.4 and 17.5)
- Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal (see Chapter 5, Section 3).
- Remove the door trim panel (see Section 13).
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the regulator motor (see illustration).
- Secure the window in place with tape (see illustration).
Subject: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Mazda3 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563929260 | ISBN-13: 9781563929267 | Chilton 46804