The 1986-1991 Mazda RX-7 DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers all models.
Complete and detailed maintenance and service information, as well as repair instructions for most car systems and components, all accompanied by hundreds of detailed photos.
Book Excerpt: 1986-1991 Mazda RX-7 Repair Manual
Mazda RX-7 models are available in both hatchback and convertible body styles.
ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
The front-mounted, rotary engine used in the RX-7 is equipped with multi-port fuel injection. The engine drives the rear wheels through either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission via a driveshaft and independent driveaxles.
Independent suspension, featuring coil springs and struts or shock absorbers, is used at all four wheels, with automatic adjustable suspension available on some models. The rack and pinion steering unit is available with power assist.
All four wheels have power-assisted disc brakes as standard equipment. An ABS (Anti-lock Braking) system is available on later models.
VOLTAGE REGULATOR/RECTIFIER | REPLACEMENT
(Refer to illustrations 13.2, 13.4, 13.6, 13.7, 13.8, 13.9 and 13.11)
- Remove the alternator (see Section 12).
- Mark the alternator halves with paint or a scribe (see illustration) to ensure proper reassembly.
- Remove the three through bolts. Don't attempt to pull the alternator apart until you have read the next step.
- The rotor bearing is pressed into the rear and frame. Place a 200 watt soldering iron on the rear end frame for three or four minutes (see illustration). If you're using an iron with less output, keep it in contact a few minutes longer.
- Pull the alternator halves apart. Pry them apart with a screwdriver if necessary, but don't use excessive force.
If the two halves don't come apart fairly easily, the rotor bearing is still stuck in its bore in the end frame housing.
You will damage the bearing or the end frame housing if you use excessive force.
Put the soldering iron back on the end frame for a few more minutes.
- Remove the B (battery) terminal nut and insulation bush (see illustration).
- Remove the rectifier and brush holder mounting screws (see illustration).
- Using a soldering iron, remove the solder from the rectifier and the stator lead (see illustration). Caution: Don't use the soldering iron for more than five seconds at a time - the rectifier may become damaged if it is overheated.
Subject: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 Mazda RX-7
service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563920077 | ISBN-13: 9781563920073 | Haynes 61036