- GOING OUT OF PRINT - LIMITED QUANTITY -
This Clymer do-it-yourself repair and service manual covers 1976-1989 Mariner 2-220 HP, including electric motors.
- Mariner 2-cylinder inline
- Mariner 3 cylinder inline
- Mariner 4-cylinder inline
- Mariner 6-cylinder inline
- Mariner V6 engines
Boaters who like to tinker with their own vessels can find useful information on such topics as synchronizing that carburetor and the oil pump, properly adjusting the timing pointer, troubleshooting tips, tools and techniques, power heads, fuel and electrical systems, automatic rewind starters and more. Published by Clymer, the Mariner Outboard Repair Manual 2-220 HP 1976-1989 is 700 pages and includes a plethora of black and white photos and illustrations that clearly exhibit the parts and repairs you'll need to know. The manual usually ships within one business day of your order to The Motor Bookstore, which offers free shipping in the continental United States.
Book Excerpt: 1976-1989 Mariner Outboard 2-220 HP Repair Manual
TIMING, SYNCHRONIZING AND ADJUSTING
CARBURETOR/OIL PUMP SYNCHRONIZATION
TIMING POINTER ADJUSTMENT
On some models, the oil pump body may contain 2 stamped marks. If so, disregard the right-hand mark (looking straight at pump) and use only the left-hand mark for this procedure.
- Move the throttle arm to the idle position. The left-hand stamped mark on the oil pump body should align with the stamped mark on the pump lever.
- If the marks do not align in Step 1, disconnect the oil pump link rod and turn the end of the rod to adjust its length until the 2 marks will align when the link rod is reconnected.
If the engine has an adjustable timing pointer, it must be properly adjusted before the engine can be timed.
- Disconnect all spark plug leads. Remove the spark plugs from the engine.
- Install a dial indicator in the No. 1 (top) cylinder.
- Rotate flywheel clockwise until the No. 1 piston is at TDC. Zero the dial indicator and tighten its set screw.
- Rotate the flywheel counterclockwise until the dial indicator needle is about 1/4 turn beyond the 0.464 in. mark on the flywheel timing decal.
- Rotate the flywheel clockwise until the dial indicator needle reads exactly 0.464 in.
- Check the timing pointer alignment. The pointer groove should align with the 0.464 in. mark on the flywheel timing decal. If not, loosen pointer attachment screw, position pointer correctly and retighten the screw.
- Remove dial indicator. Reinstall spark plugs and connect spark plug leads.
Subject: 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 Mariner Outboard 2-220 HP service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892875429 | ISBN-13: 9780892875429