The 1979-1991 Kawasaki 400, 500, 550 Fours repair manual by Haynes covers the following models:
- Kawasaki Z400J, U.K. 1980-1983
- Kawasaki ZR400 (Z400F), U.K. 1983-1985
- Kawasaki ZX400 (Z400F-II), U.K. 1984-1987
- Kawasaki Z500A, U.K. 1980-1983
- Kawasaki Z550A, U.K. 1980-1983
- Kawasaki KZ550A, U.S. 1980-1983
- Kawasaki ZR550 (Z550F), U.K. 1982-1987
- Kawasaki Z550C LTD, U.K. 1980-1983
- Kawasaki KZ550C LTD, U.S. 1980-1983
- Kawasaki Z550D (GPz550), U.K. 1981-1982
- Kawasaki KZ550D (GPz550), U.S. 1981
- Kawasaki Z550H (GPz550), U.K. 1982-1983
- Kawasaki KZ550H (GPz550), U.S. 1982-1983
- Kawasaki ZX550 (GPz550), U.K. 1983-on
- Kawasaki ZX550 (GPz550), U.S. 1984-1985
- Kawasaki Z550 (GT550), U.K. 1983-on
- Kawasaki KZ500F (Spectre/LTD), U.S. 1983-1984
- Kawasaki KZ550M (LTD) U.S. 1983
Note: this manual does NOT cover the 1991-on Kawasaki Zephyr ZR550. For the 1990-1997 Kawasaki Zephyr, see Haynes #3382.
Book Excerpt: 1979-1991 Kawasaki 400/500, KZ500/550, GPz550, ZX550 Repair Manual
ENGINE, CLUTCH AND GEARBOX
ENGINE REASSEMBLY: REFITTING THE EXTERNAL GEARCHANGE COMPONENTS
FRAME AND FORKS
- Check that the circlip is correctly located in its groove in the end of the selector fork shaft. Offer up the gearchange shaft assembly, having first checked that the locating post for the return spring is secure.
If necessary, refit the post using a thread locking compound and tightening it to the correct torque setting.
As the assembly is fitted, ensure that the claws are placed on each side of the selector drum end, and make sure that the return spring engages on the locating pin.
It is worthwhile temporarily refitting the gearchange pedal to check that gear selection is positive, as far as this is possible.
- On shaft drive models the front gear case cannot be refitted until the engine/gearbox unit is back in the frame.
- On all chain drive models, place a new O-ring (where fitted) over the boss on the input shaft end and place a new gasket in position over the two dowel pins. Grease carefully the gearchange shaft and output shaft and offer up the cover.
Ease it over the shaft ends to prevent damage to the oil seals, then slide it into place and tighten securely the retaining screws, noting that one secures a wiring clamp.
Fit the chain guard and tighten securely its three bolts, using thread-locking compound on their threads.
FRONT FORKS: EXAMINATION AND RENOVATION
- Wash all fork components thoroughly to remove all traces of old oil. Check particularly carefully that all dirt has been removed from the bottom of the fork lower leg and from the passageways in the damping mechanism.
On ZX550 A1 and A1L models it is advisable to remove the anti-dive valve unit so that one can be certain of cleaning it thoroughly and drying it completely. Refer to Section 5 of this Chapter.
- Discard the fork oil seal; this should be renewed whenever it is disturbed. Similarly check the gaiters or dust seals for splits, cracks or other damage, and all sealing O-rings and washers.
Renew any component that is found to be worn or damaged. On models so equipped, do not forget the seals around the air valves and, where applicable, in the air union.
Also check the piston ring around the head of the damper rod and, on ZX550 A1 and A1L models only, around the damper rod seat. These rings must fit closely and seal tightly in their respective bores if the damping mechanism is to function efficiently.
Subject: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 Kawasaki 400/500/550 Fours service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1850104867 | ISBN-13: 9781850104865 | Haynes 910