The 1972-1979 Kawasaki S1, S2, S3, KH250, KH400 Triples do-it-yourself repair workshop manual by Haynes, covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 1972-1979 Kawasaki S1, S2, S3, KH250, KH400 Triples Repair Manual
- Kawasaki S1 250 Series (249cc), U.K. 1972-1976, U.S. 1971-1975
- Kawasaki S2 350 Series (346cc), U.K. and U.S. 1972-1973
- Kawasaki S3 400 Series (400cc), U.K. 1974-1976, U.S. 1974-1975
- Kawasaki KH250 (249cc), U.K. 1976-1979, U.S. 1975-1979
- Kawasaki KH400 (400cc), U.K. 1976-1979, U.S. 1975-1979
FRAME AND FORKS
FRONT FORKS | REMOVAL FROM FRAME
WHEELS, BRAKES AND TIRES
- Remove the front wheel (as per Chapter 5.2) and position the machine on the center stand.
- Remove the front mudguard by withdrawing the bolts on the inside of the left and right fork legs.
- Disconnect the headlamp wiring at the connectors and remove the headlamp.
- Disconnect the cables connected to the handlebar control.
- Remove the handlebar clamps from the upper fork yoke and lift away the handlebars. It may be necessary to slacken the steering damper knob to give sufficient clearance.
- Remove the gas tank.
- Remove the ignition switch cable connector which is now accessible.
- Remove the speedometer and tachometer cables and disconnect the meters form the mounting plate. If you disconnect the meter lamp cable remove the lamps to a safe stowage.
- At the lower end of the steering damper remove the split pin, using pliers.
- Turn the damper knob counterclockwise to remove it from the assembly.
- Use a hook spanner to loosen and remove the steering head stem nut. There is one in the tool kit.
- Remover the upper fork yoke after removing the pinch bolts. Make provision to catch the uncaged steel balls which will be released as the steering head bearings separate.
- Pull out the front forks and covers after removing the pinch bolts through the lower fork yoke.
REAR WHEEL | REMOVAL
- It is assumed the right hand silencers have previously been removed.
- Disconnect the rear brake cable.
- Loosen the chain adjustment; remove the chain link and then the chain.
- Remove the split pin on the rear brake torque arm bolt.
- Remove the spindle nut split pin, the spindle nut and then the spindle itself.
- The chain adjustment collar will be free.
- Draw out the wheel.
- The procedure above is for demonstrating model which was a 72 ? S2. It is possible that procedures will vary with later models when it will be necessary to first loosen the chain case guard mounting bolts and before removing the wheel to take out the chain adjuster stoppers and their associated bolts.
- Remove the sleeve nut, the coupling with rear sprocket and left hand chain adjuster.
Subject: 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 Kawasaki S1, S2, S3, KH250, KH400 Triples service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0856961345 | ISBN-13: 9780856961342 | Haynes 134