The 1991-2002 Isuzu Rodeo, 1989-1994 Isuzu Amigo and 1998-2002 Honda Passport repair and service manual by Haynes, covers all models indicated.
This DIY manual will allow you to perform from basic maintenance tasks to service, all the way to complete system and component repairs such as rebuilding the engine, for example.
Hundreds of clear bandw photos guide you through every sequential step, accompanied by easy-to-follow text instructions.
Book Excerpt: Isuzu Rodeo 1991-2002, Amigo 1989-1994 and 1998-2002, Honda Passport 1995-2002 Repair Manual
GENERAL ENGINE OVERHAUL PROCEDURES
FINAL CRANKSHAFT INSTALLATION
EMISSIONS AND ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEMS
(Refer to illustration 23.27)
- Carefully lift the crankshaft out of the engine.
- Clean the bearing faces in the block, then apply a thin, uniform layer of moly-base grease or engine assembly lube to each of the bearing surfaces. Be sure to coat the thrust faces as well as the journal face of the thrust bearing. Caution: Do not get any lubricant on the backside of the bearing shells.
- Make sure the crankshaft journals are clean, then lay the crankshaft back in place in the block.
- Clean the faces of the bearings in the caps, then apply lubricant to them.
- Install the caps in their original locations with the arrows pointing toward the front of the engine.
- Install the bolts.
- Tighten all except the thrust bearing cap bolts to the specified torque (work from the center out and approach the final torque in three steps).
- Tighten the thrust bearing cap bolts to 10-to-12 ft-lbs.
- Tap the ends of the crankshaft forward and backward with a lead or brass hammer to line up the main bearing and crankshaft thrust surfaces.
MIXTURE CONTROL VALVE (2.3L ENGINE) | CHECK AND REPLACEMENT
- During sudden deceleration on a carbureted engine, the throttle valve closes, cutting off the supply of intake air and increasing intake manifold vacuum, which produces a momentarily rich air/fuel mixture ratio.
The mixture control valve system allows additional air to enter the intake manifold during sudden deceleration, which reduces hydro-carbon (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions caused by the portion of the air/fuel mixture that would otherwise remain unburned because of the lack of oxygen.
- Here's how it works: When the vehicle suddenly decelerates, intake manifold vacuum increases, sending a vacuum signal to the mixture control valve. A chamber inside the valve opens, allowing air to enter the intake manifold.
After about five seconds, the valve closes, cutting off this additional supply of air. If the mixture control valve continues to blow air for more than five seconds, replace it.
Subject: 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo, Amigo, Honda Passport service, maintenance, and repair instructions.
ISBN-10: 1563924811 | ISBN-13: 9781563924811 | Haynes 47017