This Chilton DIY repair and service manual, covers all 1984-1995 Honda Accord and 1984-1995 Honda Prelude cars. U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1984-1995 Honda Accord, Prelude Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
ENGINE FANS | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figures 63 and 64
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On some models, it may be necessary to disconnect the coolant hoses from the radiator to allow clearance for removing the fans. If so, drain the cooling system, and then disconnect the hoses.
- Unplug the fan electrical connections.
- Remove the mounting bolts holding the fan blade may be unbolted from the shaft and the fan motor removed from the shroud.
- Position the fan on the radiator and install the mounting bolts. Tighten them to 5 ft. lbs. (7 Nm).
- Engage the electrical connections.
- If applicable, refill the cooling system.
- Start the engine and allow it run until it reaches normal operating temperature. Check that the fan(s) turn on. Check for leaks.
PEDAL HEIGHT/FREE-PLAY ADJUSTMENT
1984-89 ACCORD AND 1984-87 PRELUDE
(See Figure 29)
NOTE: Too little free-play will lead to clutch slippage and premature wear; excessive play will lead to difficult shifting. Inspect the clutch free-play frequently and adjust as necessary. (See Figure 30)
- Measure the clutch pedal disengagement height.
- Measure the clutch pedal free-play.
- Adjust the clutch pedal free-play by turning the clutch cable adjusting nut, found at the end of the clutch cable housing near the release shaft.
- Turn the adjusting nut until the clutch pedal free-play is 0.6-1.0 in. (15-25mm).
- After adjustment, make sure the free-play at the tip of the release arm is 0.12-0.16 in (5.2-6.4mm).
The clutch is self-adjusting to compensate for wear. The total clutch pedal free-play is 0.35-0.59 in. (9-15mm). If there is no clearance between the master cylinder piston and pushrod, the release bearing is held against the diaphragm spring of the pressure plate, resulting in clutch slippage.
- Loosen the locknut on clutch pedal switch A; back off the pedal switch until it no longer touches the clutch pedal. Clutch pedal switch A is the switch that contacts the clutch pedal below the clutch pedal pivot.
- Loosen the locknut on the clutch master cylinder pushrod and turn the pushrod in or out to get the specified stroke and height at the clutch pedal. The pedal stroke should be 5.3-5.5 in. (135-140mm) on Prelude and 5.6 in. (142mm) on Accord. The pedal height should be 8.1 in. (207mm) on Prelude and 8.27 in. (210mm) on Accord.
- Tighten the pushrod locknut.
- Thread in clutch pedal switch A until it contacts the clutch pedal, and then turn it in 1/4-1/2 turn further.
- Tighten the locknut on clutch pedal switch A.
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989,1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Honda Accord, Prelude service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 080198680X | ISBN-13: 9780801986802 | Chilton 30150