This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes covers:
Book Excerpt: 1985-1998 Buick Skylark, Somerset, Olds Achieva, Calais, Pontiac Grand Am Repair Manual
- Buick Skylark, 1986-1998
- Buick Somerset, 1985-1987
- Oldsmobile Achieva, 1992-1998
- Oldsmobile Calais, 1985-1991
- Pontiac Grand Am, 1985-1998
GENERAL ENGINE OVERHAUL PROCEDURES
GEARS | 1989 AND EARLIER 2.5L FOUR-CYLINDER ENGINE ONLY
- Check the camshaft drive and driven gears for cracks, missing teeth and excessive war. If the teeth are highly polished, pitted and galled, or if the outer hardened surface of the teeth is flaking off, new parts will be required.
If one gear is worn or damaged, replace both gears as a set. Never install one new and one used gear.
- Check the gear end clearance with a feeler gauge and compare it to the Specifications. If it's less than the minimum specified, the spacer ring should be replaced. If it's excessive, the thrust plate must be replaced.
In either case, the gear will have to be pressed off the camshaft, so take the parts to an automotive machine shop.
- Clean the lifters with solvent and dry them thoroughly without mixing them up.
- Check each lifter wall, pushrod seat and foot for scuffing, score marks and uneven wear. Each lifter foot (the surface that rides on the cam lobe) must be slightly convex, although this can be difficult to determine by eye.
If the base of the lifter is concave (see illustrations), the lifters and camshaft must be replaced. If the lifter walls are damaged or worn (which isn't very likely), inspect the lifter bores in the engine block as well.
If the pushrod seats (see illustration) are worn, check the pushrod ends.
- If new lifters are being installed, a new camshaft must also be installed. If a new camshaft is installed, then use new lifters as well.
Never install used lifters unless the original camshaft is used and the lifters can be installed in their original location!
DOOR LOCK CYLINDER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustration 19.3)
- With the window glass in the full up position, remove the door trim panel and water shield (see Section 14).
- Disconnect the rod from the lock cylinder.
- On earlier models, use a screwdriver to pry the retainer off and withdraw the lock cylinder from the door (see illustration). On later models, remove the nut securing the lock cylinder to the rear of the handle and remove the lock cylinder from the door.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
DOOR LOCK STRIKER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustration 20.2)
- Mark the position of the striker bolt on the door pillar with a pencil.
- It will be necessary to use a Torx-bit to fit the star-shaped recess in the striker bolt head. Unscrew the bolt and remove it (see illustration).
- To install, screw the lock striker bolt into the tapped cage plate in the door pillar and tighten it finger tight at the marked position. Tighten the bolt to the torque listed in the Chapter's Specifications.
Subject: 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 Buick Skylark, Somerset, Oldsmobile Achieva, Calais, Pontiac Grand Am service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 156392398X | ISBN-13: 9781563923982 | Haynes 38025