If you're experiencing troubles with your anti-lock brake system, the Haynes Automotive Anti-lock Brake Systems Manual can be of assistance. The valuable resource shows you the principles of operation, system identification, troubleshooting and trouble code charts to help diagnose and repair issues with your vehicle's braking system. The manual is loaded with over 200 photographs and drawings to help identify braking components and asset with the removal and replacement of failed parts. The manual includes in-depth descriptions of many brands of cars made between 1985 and 1998 including the following:
- Delphi Chassis (Delco Moraine)
- Kelsey-Hayes (Lucas Varity)
The Haynes Anti-Lock Brake Manual is a must-have for any brake shop or DIY mechanic's garage. The manual offers an extensive selection of brake-related topics and is a great reference material for mechanics of all experience levels. If you own a car with anti-lock brakes, you need this Haynes manual.
Book Excerpt: Automotive Anti-lock Brake Systems Manual
CHAPTER 4 BOSCH SYSTEMS
BOSCH 5, 5.3 AND DELCO-BOSCH
NIPPONDENSO, NISSAN AND SUMITOMO SYSTEMS
(Refer to illustration 4.30)
Bosch 5 and its variants, 5.3 and Delco-Bosch, are improved versions of Bosch 2. Delco-Bosch 5 is a version used in a number of General Motors vehicles. Bosch 5.3 is a compact version of Bosch 5. The most significant changes to Bosch 2 are:
Bosch 5 comes in three-channel and four channel versions. Vehicles with a front-rear split between the hydraulic circuits, use either a three-or- four-channel version, with one hydraulic channel at each front wheel and a single channel for both rear wheels.
- Dual processors. Both processors receive the input signals from all the wheel sensors, and should produce identical output signals. If they don't, the electronic control unit shuts the ABS off and illuminates the warning lamp.
- A simplified solenoid design, with only two solenoid positions instead of three ( see illustration).
Each front wheel has its own wheel speed sensor. On some models, there's a separate speed sensor for each rear wheel. On others, a single speed sensor in the differential monitors both rear wheels.
Vehicles with diagonally split hydraulic circuits ( one front brake and the diagonally opposed rear brake on each circuit) use a four-channel version with four wheel sensors.
Bosch 5.3 achieves it's smaller size and reduced weight by using a smaller pump motor and a more compact arrangement of components than Bosch 5.0. It's solenoids are made in two parts, with the hydraulic portion in the hydraulic modulator and the coils in the ECU, which plugs onto the hydraulic modulator.
Some versions of the system include traction control, and some include a lateral acceleration sensor and/or a yaw sensor.
Components of the Bosch 5 ABS are the control unit, hydraulic modulator, solenoids, pumps and accumulators (contained within the hydraulic modulator), wheel speed sensors and tone wheels, solenoid relay, pump relay, brake light switch and ABS warning lamp.
SYSTEM SERVICE | DIAGNOSTICS
(Refer to illustrations 7.3 and 7.4)
The system can store up to three trouble codes at a time. If more than three problems occur, the system will store the most recent three. These will stay in memory until they are cleared.
Trouble codes can be retrieved by flashing the ABS warning lamp as follows:
- Locate the diagnostic connector under the driver's side of the instrument panel (see illustration). With the key in the Off position, connect one of the diagnosis terminals to connector terminal 6 (L).
- Turn the key on and watch the ABS warning light . It will flash a long flash, then a short flash. This indicates code 11, the start code ( not a trouble code). If no trouble codes are stored, only code 11 will flash.
- If trouble codes are stored, the warning lamp will flash them in order, starting with the code most recently stored. Each code consists of a series of long and short flashes. A code 22 for example, would be two long flashes followed by two short flashes. A code 31 would be three long flashes and one short flash.
- The codes will continue to flash in order for up to five minutes. While the codes are flashing, read them and write them down.
- To interpret the codes, refer to the accompanying table ( see illustration).
- To clear codes from the ECU memory, disconnect the diagnosis terminal from terminal 6. Reconnect and disconnect the connector three more times, all within a total of 12 seconds. Each connection and disconnection should last at least 1/2 - second.
- AUDI: 1985-on
- BMW: 1985-on
- CHRYSLER CORPORATION CARS: 1988-1990 AC, AY | 1988-1991 AQ | 1990-1993 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, Chrysler Imperial, Chrysler New Yorker, Dodge Dynasty | 1991-1993 AA | 1992-1993 AG, AJ | 1991-1993 Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager | 1991-1992 Eagle Premier | 1993-1994 Chrysler Concorde/300M/LHS, Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision | 1993-1995 Chrysler Concorde/300M/LHS, Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision | 1993andfrac12;-1995 AA | 1994-1995 AS, AP | 1995-1996 Chrysler Concorde/300M/LHS, Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision | 1996 Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager | 1995-1997 Dodge/Plymouth Neon, Chrysler Cirrus, Plymouth Breeze, Dodge Stratus | 1996-1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible | 1996-1997 Chrysler Concorde/300M/LHS, Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision | 1997-1998 Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager | 1998 Dodge/Plymouth Neon, Chrysler Cirrus, Plymounth Breeze, Dodge Stratus, Chrysler Sebring convertible, Chrysler Concorde/300M/LHS, Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision
- CHRYSLER CORPORATION TRUCKS: 1989-1996 Dodge Dakota/Ram | 1990-1996 Dodge Ram van | 1993-1996 Dodge Dakota | 1993-1997 Dodge Ram pickup/Ram van | 1997 Dodge Dakota | 1998 Dodge Dakota, Dodge Durango, Dodge Ram pickup, Dodge Ram van | 1989-1994 Jeep Cherokee | 1993-1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler | 1995-1996 Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler | 1997-1998 Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee | 1997-1998 Jeep Wrangler
- CHRYSLER CORPORATION IMPORTS: 1984-1989 Dodge Conquest | 1990-1994 Plymouth Laser, Eagle Talon | 1991-1994 Dodge Ram 50 truck | 1991-1997 Dodge Stealth, Eagle Talon (AWD), Plymouth Laser | 1992-1997 Dodge Colt | 1993-1996 Dodge Colt Vista, Colt Summit wagon | 1993-1996 Colt Summit | 1995-1998 Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Avenger, Eagle Talon (2WD)
- FORD MOTOR COMPANY CARS: 1985-1989 Continental | 1985-1992 Mark VII | 1987-1992 Thunderbird | 1989-1991andfrac12; Probe | 1989-1992 Cougar | 1990-1994 Continental, Town Car, Sable/Taurus | 1992-1994 Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis | 1993-1994 Thunderbird, Mark VIII, Villager | 1994 Mustang | 1995 Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Continental (1995¬), Town Car | 1995-1997 Contour/Mystique
- FORD MOTOR COMPANY TRUCKS and VANS: 1987-1990 Bronco II | 1987-1992 Bronco | 1987-1994 F-series pickup | 1989-1994 Ranger | 1990-1994 Aerostar, Econoline van | 1991-1992 Explorer | 1993-1994 Bronco, Explorer | 1995 Windstar
- GENERAL MOTORS CARS: 1986-1989 Chevrolet Corvette | 1986-1990 Buick Electra/Park Avenue, Cadillac Deville/Fleetwood, Oldsmobile 98 Regency | 1986-1991 Pontiac 6000 STE | 1987-1990 Oldsmobile 88 | 1987-1992 Cadillac Allante | 1988-1990 Buick Reatta, Riviera, Cadillac Eldorado/Seville, Oldsmobile Toronado, Pontiac Bonneville SSE | 1989-1990 Pontiac Bonneville (except SSE) | 1989-1991 Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Pontiac Grand Prix, Pontiac 6000 STE/AWD | 1990-1993 Chevrolet Corvette | 1990-1994 Cadillac Fleetwood | 1991 Oldsmobile Calais I-series | 1991-1993 Oldsmobile Toronado, Cadillac Deville | 1991-1994 Buick Wagon, Cadillac Eldorado, Chevrolet Caprice | 1991-1995 Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue, Oldsmobile Delta 88, Oldsmobile 98, Pontiac Bonneville, Pontiac Bonneville SSE | 1991-1996 Chevrolet Corsica/Beretta | 1991-1998 Buick Skylark, Pontiac Grand Am | 1992-1993 Buick Riviera | 1992-1994 Chevrolet Corvette, Pontiac Sunbird | 1992-1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Pontiac Grand Prix | 1992-1998 Buick Regal, Chevrolet Cavalier, Chevrolet Lumina, Oldsmobile Achieva | 1993 Cadillac Allante | 1993-1994 Buick Roadmaster | 1993-1997 Chevrolet Camaro, Geo Prizm, Pontiac Firebird | 1994 Cadillac Concours, Chevrolet Impala SS | 1994-1996 Buick Century, Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera | 1995 Chevrolet Corvette LT1, Corvette LT5 | 1995-1996 Buick wagon, Roadmaster, Cadillac Concours, Deville, Eldorado, Fleetwood, Seville, Caprice, Impala SS | 1995-1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Geo Metro, Pontiac Sunfire, Buick Riviera, Oldsmobile Aurora | 1996 Chevrolet Corvette, Oldsmobile 98 | 1996-1998 Buick Park Avenue, LeSabre, Oldsmobile 88, Pontiac Bonneville | 1997 Cadillac Catera | 1997-1998 Cadillac Concours, Deville, Eldorado, Seville, Chevrolet Corvette, Buick Century, Chevrolet Malibu, Olds Cutlass | 1998 Cadillac Catera, Chevrolet Camaro, Pontiac Firebird, Grand Prix, Oldsmobile Intrigue, Chevrolet Prizm
- GENERAL MOTORS TRUCKS and VANS: 1988-1993 C/K series pickups | 1989-1995 S/T series pickups | 1990-1991 Suburban | 1990-1992 Chevy Astro, Pontiac Safari, G-series van | 1990-1998 Chevy Astro, Pontiac Safari | 1991 Blazer | 1991-1995 Geo Tracker | 1991-1998 S/T series truck (four-door) | 1992-1998 Chevrolet Blazer, Lumina, Venture, C/K series pickups, G-series van, Pontiac Trans Sport, Oldsmobile Silhouette, S/T series trucks (two-door), Suburban
- HONDA/ACURA: 1988-1995 all models
- GEO, HYUNDAI, ISUZU, JAGUAR, MAZDA, MERCEDES-BENZ, MITSUBISHI, NISSAN, PORSCHE, SAAB: Compare the components of your system (most notably the hydraulic control unit) with the system descriptions in the individual chapters of this manual to determine the type of ABS installed in your vehicle.
- SUBARU: 1990-1992 Legacy non-turbo and turbo | 1992-1997 SVX | 1992andfrac12;-1995 Legacy | 1993 Legacy automatic | 1993-1995 Impreza | 1996 Impreza, Legacy | 1997-1998 Impreza, Legacy | 1998 Forester
- SUZUKI: Compare the components of your system (most notably the hydraulic control unit) with the system descriptions in the individual chapters of this manual to determine the type of ABS installed in your vehicle.
- TOYOTA CARS and VANS: 1987-1988 Supra | 1988-1989 Celica | 1988-1991 Camry, Cressida | 1989-1992 Supra | 1990-1993 Celica | 1991-1995 MR2 | 1991-1996 Previa | 1992-1996 Camry (non-TMM) | 1993-1996 Corolla, Paseo, Tercel, Land Cruiser | 1994-1996 Camry (TMM), Supra | 1995-1996 Avalon, Celica | 1996 RAV4 | 1997-on All, except Land Cruiser.
- TOYOTA TRUCKS: 1990-1993 4Runner | 1990-1995 Pickup | 1993-1994 T100 | 1994-1996 4Runner | 1995-1996 Tacoma, T100
- VW, VOLVO: Compare the components of your system (most notably the hydraulic control unit) with the system descriptions in the individual chapters of this manual to determine the type of ABS installed in your vehicle.
Transportation: Automotive: Anti-lock braking systems (ABS) diagnosis and service. ISBN-10:
1563923491 | ISBN-13:
9781563923494 | Haynes 10411