This 1984-1996 Yamaha FJ1100, FJ1200 sport touring motorcycle repair manual by Haynes covers the following domestic and U.K. models:
- Yamaha FJ1100, 1984-1985
- Yamaha FJ1200, 1986-1992
- Yamaha FJ1200A, 1992-1993
Book Excerpt: 1984-1996 Yamaha FJ1100, FJ1200 Repair Manual
- Yamaha FJ1100, 1984-1985
- Yamaha FJ1200, 1986-1996
- Yamaha FJ1200A, 1991-1996
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
THROTTLE CABLE AND GRIP
- Remove the fuel tank (see Section2).
- Loosen the cable adjuster locknut on both cables and free the cables from the carburetor throttle pulley (see Throttle operation/grip freeplay ? check and adjustment in Chapter 1).
- Remove the screws from the throttle grip cap and separate the front and rear halves of the cap (see illustration).
- Detach the accelerator and decelerator cables from the throttle grip pulley and from the throttle pulley at the carburetors (see illustration). Take the throttle grip off the handlebar.
- Remove the cables, noting how they are routed.
- Clean the handlebar and apply a light coat of multi-purpose grease.
- Route the cables into place. Make sure they don?t interfere with any other components and aren?t kinked or bent sharply.
- Lubricate the ends of the accelerator and decelerator cables with multi-purpose grease and connect them to the throttle pulleys at the carburetors and at the throttle grip.
- Follow the procedure outlined in Chapter 1, Throttle Operation/Grip Freeplay ? Check and Adjustment, to adjust the cables.
- Turn the handlebars back and forth to make sure the cables don?t cause the steering to bind. With the engine idling, turn the handlebars back and forth and make sure idle speed doesn't change. If it does, find and fix the cause before riding the motorcycle.
- Install the fuel tank.
STARTER MOTOR | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Remove the seat and side covers (see Chapter 7). Remove the fuel tank (see Chapter 3).
- Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery.
- Remove the nut retaining the starter cable to the starter.
- Remove the starter mounting bolts (see illustrations).
- Lift the outer end of the starter up slightly and slide the starter out of the engine case.
- Check the condition of the O-ring on the end of the starter and replace it if necessary.
- Apply a little engine oil to the O-ring and install the starter by reversing the removal procedure. Tighten the two mounting bolts to the torque listed in this Chapter?s Specifications.
STARTER MOTOR | DISASSEMBLY
- Remove the Starter motor (see Section 28).
- Mark the position of the housing to each end cover. Remove the two long screws and detach both end covers (see illustration).
- Pull the armature out of the housing (toward the pinion gear side).
- Remove the brush plate from the housing.
- Carefully note how the washers are arranged on the terminal bolt. Remove the nut and push the terminal bolt through the starter housing, then reinstall the washers and nut on the bolt so you don?t forget how they go. Remove the two brushes with the plastic holder from the housing (see illustration).
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 Yamaha FJ1100, FJ1200 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1785210378| ISBN-13: 9781785210372| Haynes 2057