- OUT OF PRINT -
The 2006-2011 VW Jetta, Rabbit, GTI, Golf DIY service and repair manual by Chilton, covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 2006-2011 VW Jetta, Rabbit, GTI, Golf Repair Manual
- VW New Jetta, 2005
- VW Jetta, 2005-2011
- VW GLI, 2006-2009
- VW Rabbit, 2006-2009
- VW GTI, 2006 2.0L
- VW GTI, 2007-2011
- VW Golf, 2010-2011
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
FUEL PUMP (Refer to illustrations 2.2a and 2.2b)
FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM (Refer to illustration 2.9)
- The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank. Sit inside the vehicle with the windows closed, turn the ignition key to ON (not START) and listen for the sound of the fuel pump as it's briefly activated.
You will only hear the sound for a second or two, but that sound tells you that the pump is working. Alternatively, have an assistant listen at the fuel filler cap.
- If the pump does not come on, check the fuel pump fuse (see illustration) and on five-cylinder models, the fuel pump relay (see illustration).
All models are equipped with a fuel pump fuse, but there is no fuel pump relay on four-cylinder models; the fuel pump circuit on these models is controlled by the fuel pump control module (FPCM), which cannot be diagnosed at home.
NOTE: The following procedure is based on the assumption that the fuel pump is working and the fuel pressure is adequate (see Sec. 4).
- Check all electrical connectors that are related to the system. Check the ground wire connections for tightness.
- Verify that the battery is fully charged (see Chapter 5).
- Inspect the air filter element (see Chapter 1).
- Check all fuses related to the fuel system (see Chapter 12).
- Check the air induction system between the throttle body and the intake manifold for air leaks. Also inspect the condition of all vacuum hoses connected to the intake manifold and to the throttle body.
- Remove the air intake duct from the throttle body and look for dirt, carbon, varnish, or other residue in the throttle body, particularly around the throttle plate. If it's dirty, clean it with carb cleaner, a toothbrush and a clean shop towel.
- With the engine running, place an automotive stethoscope against each interior, one at a time, and listen for a clicking sound that indicates operation (see illustration).
WARNING: Stay clear of the drivebelt and any rotating or hot components.
- If you can hear the injectors operating, but the engine is misfiring, the electrical circuits are functioning correctly, but the injectors might be dirty or clogged.
Try a commercial injector cleaning product (available at auto parts stores). If cleaning the injectors doesn't help, replace the injectors.
Subject: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 VW Jetta, Rabbit, GTI, Golf service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563929503 | ISBN-13: 9781563929502 | Chilton 70404