Toyota MR2 owners can perform DIY service, repair and maintenance on their vehicles using the Toyota MR2 Repair Service Manual by Haynes. The manual covers vehicles made between 1985 and 1987, with information specific to the MR2. The manual covers models equipped with 4-speed manual and 5-speed automatic transaxles. The repair and service manual also includes a helpful troubleshooting section as well as maintenance schedules that are useful for DIY mechanics. Step-by-step repair instructions and easy to follow diagrams are included in the book for a variety of engine systems.
Toyota MR2 Repair Service Manuals by Haynes cover a variety of topics from simple routine maintenance to the chassis electrical system and more. The Haynes manual is written for beginner mechanics, but includes plenty of pro tips, tricks and advanced repair projects to keep even master mechanics entertained. Order your repair manual today and enjoy fast and free shipping to the continental 48 states.
Book Excerpt: 1985-1987 Toyota MR2 Repair Manual
COOLING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
WATER PUMP | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
CHASSIS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
(Refer to illustrations 11.6, 11.8, 11.10 and 11.11)
- Drain the coolant (refer to Chapter 1).
- If your vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, loosen the idler pulley and remove the A/C compressor drivebelt (refer to Chapter 1 if necessary).
- Loosen but do not remove the water pump pulley bolts.
- Loosen the alternator adjustment bolt and pivot nut (refer to Chapter 5 if necessary). Pivot the alternator forward (toward the engine) and remove the drivebelt.
- Remove the water pump pulley.
- Remove the two nuts that attach the water inlet pipe flange to the water pump (see illustration).
- Remove the water inlet pipe bracket bolt and pull the inlet pipe away from the water pump.
- Remove the dipstick tube support bracket bolt (see illustration) and pull out the dipstick tube. Plug the dipstick hole in the top of the oil pump.
- Remove the upper and middle timing belt covers (refer to Chapter 2 Part A).
- Remove the water pump bolts (see illustration) and the pump.
- Remove the water pump O-ring from the block (see illustration).
- Install a new O-ring into the groove in the water pump mating surface on the block.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
IGNITION SWITCH AND KEY LOCK CYLINDER | CHECK AND REPLACEMENT
(Refer to illustrations 8.2, 8.3a, 8.3b and 8.7)
- The ignition switch and key lock cylinder is located in the right side of the steering column assembly.
- To check it, locate the large plastic electrical connector adjacent to the turn signal/hazard flasher/dimmer switch connector at the bottom of the steering column assembly (see illustration).
The smaller connector is for the warning buzzer that is activated when the key is turned on.
- To check the ignition switch and the warning buzzer, use an ohm-meter to check the continuity between the indicated terminals of their electrical connectors (see illustrations).
If the continuity of the ignition switch or the buzzer is not as specified, replace the ignition switch.
Subject: 1985, 1986, 1987 Toyota MR2 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1850103399 | ISBN-13: 9781850103394 | Haynes 92065