This Haynes DIY repair and service manual, covers 1975-1979 Toyota Corolla 1200 Sedan, 1600 Sedan, Coupe (incl. SR5 and Sport), Wagon, and Liftback (including SR5 and Sport).
Coverage includes manual and automatic transmission models.
Book Excerpt: 1975-1979 Toyota Corolla Repair Manual
CARBURATION, FUEL AND EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEMS
FUEL TANK | REMOVAL, RENOVATION AND REFITTING
STARTER MOTOR | ASSEMBLY
- The rear mounted fuel tank may be suspended under the rear of the car (Lift back), fitted at the side of the luggage boot (Saloon) or located under the luggage area floor (Estate Wagon). (Fig. 3.11).
- If a leak is detected in a fuel tank, a temporary repair may be made with fiberglass or similar material but never attempt to weld or solder a leak.
Renew the tank completely or take it for professional repair.
- To remove the fuel tank, drain or syphon out the fuel (photo).
- Remove the panel or shield that covers the tank.
- Disconnect the fuel filler pipe.
- Disconnect the fuel outlet pipe.
- Disconnect the leads to the fuel lever sending unit.
- Disconnect all breather or fuel evaporative system hoses (see Section 27) according to type (photo).
- Disconnect the tank mounting straps or withdraw the mounting bolts and lift the tank from the vehicle.
- The fuel contents sender unit can be unscrewed using a suitable pin wrench (photo).
- Water and sediment often collect at the base of the tank, this can be removed using two or three changes of clean paraffin with a final rinse of fuel. Shake the tank and tip out the flushing solvent but having removed the sender unit.
- Refitting is the reversal of removal but always use a new sealing gasket for the sending unit.
FUEL CONTENTS GAUGE AND SENDER UNIT | TESTING
- Should a fault develop in the fuel gauge reading, first check the security of the electrical leads to the gauge and to the sender unit in the fuel tank.
- Disconnect the lead that runs from the fuel gauge to the sending unit, from the back of the fuel gauge.
- From the terminal on the gauge run the lead to a good ground incorporating a 3.4W bulb in the lead. Turn the ignition switch on the test bulb should light up and then start to flash after a few seconds.
The gauge needle should also deflect. If this test proves satisfactory then the gauge is in good condition and the sender unit is probably at fault.
- To check the sender unit, remove it from the fuel tank as described in the preceding Section.
- Using a circuit tester, measure the resistance between the terminal on the sender unit and ground. Move the float arm smoothly and compare the readings obtained with those shown in the following table. (Fig. 3.13).
- Fit the clutch assembly to the armature shaft followed by a new pinion stop collar or circlip. Pull the stop collar forward and stake the collar rim over the circlip. Grease all sliding surfaces.
- Locate the drive engagement lever to the armature shaft as shown in Fig. 10.28 with the spring toward the armature and the steel washer up against the clutch.
- Apply grease to all the sliding surfaces and locate the armature assembly in the drive and frame. Insert the drive engagement lever pivot pin, well greased.
- Fit the rubber buffer together with its backing plate then align and offer into position the yoke to the drive end frame.
- Fit the brush holder to the armature and then insert the brushes.
- Grease the commutator end frame bearing and then fit the end frame into position. Insert and tighten the two tie bolts.
- Fit the seal, washer lock plate and end cover ( half packed with multipurpose grease). Check the armature shaft end float, if it exceeds 0.03 in (0.8mm) remove the end cover and add an additional thrust washer. (Fig. 10.29).
- Install the solenoid switch making sure that its hook engages under the spring of the the engagement lever fork (Fig. 10.30).
- Set up a test circuit similar to the one shown in Fig. 10.31, and check that the motor rotates smoothly at a current loading of 45 amps. With the solenoid switch energized, insert a feeler gauge between the... [continued]
Subject: 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 Toyota Corolla service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0856968528 | ISBN-13: 9780856968525 | Haynes 92030