The 1992-1996 Toyota Camry and 1995-1996 Toyota Avalon DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers all U.S. and Canadian market models.
Book Excerpt: 1992-1996 Toyota Camry, Avalon Repair and Service Manual
Toyota Camry models are available in coupe, four-door sedan and station wagon models. The Avalon is available only as a four-door sedan.
GENERAL ENGINE OVERHAUL PROCEDURES
The transversely mounted inline four-cylinder and V6 engines used in these models are equipped with electronic fuel injection.
The engine drives the front wheels through either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transaxle via independent driveaxles.
Independent suspension, featuring coil spring/strut damper units, is used on all four wheels. The power-assisted rack and pinion steering unit if mounted behind the engine.
The brakes are disc at the front with either drum or discs at the rear, depending on model, with power assist standard. Some models are equipped with Anti-lock brakes (ABS).
- Check each valve spring for wear (on the ends) and pits. Measure the free length and compare it to this Chapter's Specifications (see illustration).
Any springs that are shorter than specified have sagged and should not be re-used. The tension of all springs should be pressure checked with a special fixture before deciding that they're suitable for use in a rebuilt engine (take the springs to an automotive machine shop for this check).
- Stand each spring on a flat surface and check it for squareness (see illustration). If any of the springs are distorted or sagged, replace all of them with new parts.
- Check the spring retainers and keepers for obvious wear and cracks. Any questionable parts should be replaced with new ones, as extensive damage will occur if they fail during engine operation.
- Any damaged or excessively worn parts must be replaced with new ones.
- If the inspection process indicates that the valve components are in generally poor condition and worn beyond the limits specified, which is usually the case in an engine that's being overhauled, reassemble the valves in the cylinder head and refer to Section 12 for valve servicing recommendations.
Subject: 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 Toyota Camry
maintenance, service and repair for do-it-yourself mechanics. ISBN-10: 1563923513 | ISBN-13: 9781563923517 | Haynes 92006