The 1988-1996 Suzuki GSXR750, GSX750F Katana sportbike repair manual by Clymer, covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 1988-1996 Suzuki GSXR750, GSX750F Katana Repair Manual
- Suzuki GSXR750, 1988-1992
- Suzuki GSX750F Katana (GSX750), 1989-1996
This chapter provides complete service procedures for the clutch and clutch release mechanism.
TRANSMISSION AND GEARSHIFT MECHANISMS
The clutch is a wet multi-plate type which operates immersed in the engine oil. It is mounted on the right-hand end of the transmission main shaft.
The inner clutch hub is splined to the main shaft and the outer housing can rotate freely on the main shaft. The outer housing is geared to the crankshaft.
The clutch pushrod rides within the channel in the transmission main shaft.
The clutch lifter mechanism is mounted within the clutch outer cover and is operated by the clutch cable and hand lever mounted on the left-hand handlebar.
This type of clutch does require routine adjustment as the cable does stretch with use, refer to Chapter Three.
Specifications for the clutch are listed in Table 1. Tables 1-2 are located at the end of this chapter.
The clutch assembly can be removed with the engine in the frame. This procedure is shown with the engine removed and partially disassembled for clarity.
Refer to the following illustrations for this procedure:
- Figure 1: 1988-1989 GSX-R750 models.
- Figure 2: 1990-1992 GSX-R750 models.
- Figure 3: Katana 750 models.
INTERNAL GEARSHIFT MECHANISM: REMOVAL/DISASSEMBLY
Refer to Figure 90 for this procedure.
- Remove the engine and split the crankcase as described under Crankcase Disassembly in Chapter Four.
- Remove the external gearshift mechanism as described in this chapter.
- Remove the transmission assemblies as described in this chapter.
- Hold onto the shift forks and withdraw the shift forks one at a time. Remove the shift fork shaft and all shift forks.
Subject: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 Suzuki GSXR750, GSX750F Katana service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892877634 | ISBN-13: 9780892877638 | Clymer M478-2