This do-it-yourseld repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 2000-2004 Saturn L-Series cars, all models, with 2.2L 4-cylinder and 3.0L V-6 engines, 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic transaxles.
Saturn L-Series vehicles are available in 4-door sedan or station wagon bodies and all come equipped with electronically controlled Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI) systems.
Book Excerpt: 2000-2004 Saturn L-Series Repair Manual
LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD
TIMING BELT COVER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Remove the upper intake manifold and the intake manifold runners (see Steps 1 through 7).
- Depressurize the fuel system, and then remove the fuel rail and injectors (see Chapter 4).
- Remove the lower intake manifold mounting bolts.
- Remove the lower intake manifold spacer from the engine block.
- Remove the O-rings from the lower intake manifold spacer.
- Clean the surface of the spacer and the engine block. Caution: The mating surfaces of the cylinder heads, engine block and intake manifold must be perfectly clean.
Gasket removal solvents in aerosol cans are available at most auto parts stores and may be helpful when removing old gasket material that's stuck to the cylinder heads and intake manifold.
Since the cylinder heads are aluminum and the lower intake manifold spacer is aluminum, aggressive scraping can cause damage! Be sure to follow directions printed on the container, and use only a plastic-tipped scraper, not a metal one.
- Clean the mating surfaces with lacquer thinner or acetone. If there's old sealant or oil on the mating surfaces when the lower intake manifold is installed, oil or vacuum leaks may develop.
- When working on the cylinder heads and engine block, cover the open engine areas with shop rags to keep debris out of the engine. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove any material that falls into the intake ports in the cylinder heads.
- Use a tap of the correct size to chase the threads in the bolt holes, and then use compressed air (if available) to remove the debris from the holes. Warning: Wear safety glasses or a face shield to protect your eyes when using compressed air!
- Install the new O-rings into the spacer.
- Install the spacer onto the engine block.
- Carefully set the lower intake manifold in place. Don't disturb the spacer and don't move the lower intake manifold fore-and-aft after it contacts the spacer on the engine block.
- Install the lower intake manifold bolts and tighten them to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications. Start with the center bolts and work to the outside and tighten the bolts evenly, working up to the final torque in several steps.
NOTE: Apply a small amount of thread locking compound to the lower intake manifold bolt threads.
- The remaining installation steps are the reverse of removal. Check the coolant level, adding as necessary (see Chapter 1).
- Reconnect the battery (see Chapter 5, Section 1), and then start the engine and check carefully for leaks.
REMOVAL (Refer to illustrations 7.4 and 7.6)
- Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal (see Chapter 5).
- Drain the engine oil and remove the oil filter (see Chapter 1).
- Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.
- Remove the inner fender splash shield from the right side of the vehicle (see illustration).
Subject: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Saturn L-Series service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563925419 | ISBN-13: 9781563925412 | Haynes 87020