- OUT OF PRINT -
This Chilton repair and service manual, covers 1974-1983 Pontiac mid-size cars including the following models:
- Pontiac Grand Am
- Pontiac Grand Le Mans
- Pontiac Grand Prix
- Pontiac GTO
- Pontiac Le Mans
- Pontiac Phoenix
- Pontiac Ventura
Includes all U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1974-1983 Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, GTO, Le Mans, Phoenix, Ventura Repair Manual
ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND TUNEUP
DIESEL FUEL INJECTION
IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT | 350 V8 DIESEL (See Figure 37)
A special tachometer with an RPM counter suitable for the 350 V8 diesel is necessary for this adjustment; a standard tach suitable for gasoline engines will not work.
- Place the transmission in Park, block the rear wheels and firmly set the parking brake.
- If necessary, adjust the throttle linkage as described in Chapter 7.
- Start the engine and allow it to warm up for 10-15 minutes.
- Shut off the engine and remove the air cleaner.
- Clean off any grime from the timing probe holder on the front cover; also clean off the crankshaft balancer rim.
- Install the magnetic probe end of the tachometer fully into the timing probe holder. Complete the remaining tachometer connections according to the tach manufacturer?s instructions.
- Disconnect the two-lead connector from the generator.
- Make sure all electrical accessories are off. Warning: At no time should either the steering wheel or the brake pedal be touched.
- Start the engine and place the transmission in Drive (after first making sure the parking brake is firmly applied).
- Check the slow idle speed reading against the one printed on the underhood emissions sticker. Reset if necessary.
- Unplug the connector from the fast idle cold advance (engine temperature) switch, and install a jumper wire between the connector terminals. DO NOT ALLOW THE JUMPER TO GROUND.
- Check the fast idle speed and reset if necessary according to the specification printed on the underhood emissions sticker.
- Remove the jumper wire and reconnect it to the temperature switch.
- Recheck the slow idle speed and reset if necessary.
- Shut off the engine.
- Reconnect the leads at the generator and A/C compressor.
- Disconnect and remove the tachometer.
- If the car is equipped with cruise control, adjust the servo throttle rod to minimum slack, then put the clip in the first free hole closest to the bellcrank or throttle lever.
- Install the air cleaner.
DISC BRAKES CALIPERS | REMOVAL, INSTALLATION AND OVERHAUL
(See Figures 21,22 and 23)
- Perform the removal steps for pad replacement.
- Disconnect the brake hose and plug the line.
- Remove the U-shaped retainer from the fitting.
- Pull the hose from the frame bracket and remove the caliper with the hose attached.
- Clean the outside of the caliper with denatured alcohol.
- Remove the brake hose and discard the copper gasket.
- Remove the brake fluid from the caliper.
- Place clean rags inside the caliper opening to catch the piston when it is released.
- Apply compressed air to the caliper fluid inlet hole and force the piston out of its bore. DO NOT BLOW THE PISTON OUT, but use just enough pressure to ease it out.
Do not place your fingers in front of the piston in an attempt to catch it while applying compressed air. Serious injury could result.
- Use a suitable prytool to pry the boot out of the caliper. Avoid scratching the bore.
- Remove the piston seal from its groove in the caliper bore. Do not use a metal tool of any type for this operation.
- Blow out all passages in the caliper and bleeder valve. Clean the piston and piston bore with fresh brake fluid.
- Examine the piston for scoring, scratches or corrosion. If any of these conditions exist the piston must be replaced, as it is plated and cannot be refinished.
- Examine the bore for the same defects. Light rough spots may be removed by rotating crocus cloth, using finger pressure, in the bore. Do not polish with an in-and-out motion or use any other abrasive. (continued).
Subject: 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, GTO, Le Mans, Phoenix, Ventura service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801990742 | ISBN-13: 9780801990748 | Chilton 28740