This Clymer B738 repair manual covers 1986-1993 OMC Cobra Stern Drive, and includes 1988-1989 King Cobra models.
- OMC Cobra 2.3L, 2.5L, 3.0L, 4.3L, 4.3L HO
- OMC Cobra 5.0L, 5.0L HO, 5.7L
- OMC 262 King Cobra, 1989
- OMC 350 King Cobra, 1988-1989
- OMC 460 King Cobra, 1988-1989
- OMC 5.8L, 5.0 EFI, 5.8 EFI
Learn how to repair and maintain an Outboard Marine Corp. engine with the OMC Cobra Stern Drive Repair Manual 1986-1993 published by Clymer and available at The Motor Bookstore. Following the expiration of several Volvo patents, OMC came out with a redesigned stern drive product and branded it the Cobra, which began shipping in 1985. Some Cobras of that era were afflicted with gear issues, and this manual can help the DIY boat owner troubleshoot and maintain his motor with tips on engine installation and removal, the electrical system, transom assembly, upper gear housing, gearcase housing and more. This 542-page OMC Cobra 5.7 manual includes plenty of photos and illustrations to guide you along. It comes with free shipping to the 48 contiguous United States when you order from The Motor Bookstore.
Book Excerpt: 1986-1993 OMC Cobra Stern Drive Repair Manual
FORD V8 ENGINES
Engine installation is the reverse of removal, plus the following:
- If the exhaust pipe was serviced, coat a new seal with OMC Adhesive M and install in transom bracket groove. Wipe exhaust pipe screw threads with OMC Gasket Sealing Compound. Install exhaust pipe to transom bracket and tighten screws to 10-12 ft.-lb. (14-16 N.m).
- Install any shims or adapters used with the engine mounts.
- Install forward mount lag screws securely and tighten the rear mount self-locking nuts to 28-30 ft.-lb. (38-40 N.m).
- If stern drive was removed, perform the Engine Alignment procedure as described in this chapter after securing the engine mounts.
- Lubricate the transom bracket shift cable anchor with OMC Triple-Guard grease.
- Fill the engine with an oil recommended in Chapter Four.
- Fill the cooling system, if equipped with a closed system. See Chapter Five.
- Adjust the drive belts. See Chapter Ten.
- Adjust the timing as required. See Chapter Four.
IGNITION MODULE OR COIL PACK REMOVAL
The coil pack is mounted on the inside of the port side exhaust elbow. The coil pack contains 3 dual-firing ignition coils. The ignition module is located under the coil pack.
Note that the module must be grounded to operate. Ignition modules are not interchangeable. Each module has a specific firing order, engine speed range and spark advance curve. The part number and engine displacement is stamped on the module for identification.
- Remove the high tension leads from the coil pack (Figure 38) noting the correct firing order. Label the leads or make a sketch for reference during reassembly.
- Remove the screw securing the 14-pin harness connector to the ignition module (Figure 38).
- Remove the screws securing the ignition module/ coil pack assembly to the mounting bracket and remove the module/coil pack.
- To separate the module from the coil pack, remove the screws securing the coil pack to the module. See Figure 39. Lift the coil pack off the module. See Figure 40.
Subject: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 OMC Cobra Stern Drive service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892876107 | ISBN-13: 9780892876105