The Oldsmobile Cutlass Repair Manual 1974-1988 by Haynes, covers all rear-wheel drive Olds Cutlass models with 3.8L and 4.1L V6, and 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L, 6.6L, and 7.5L V8 engines.
Transmissions include a 3- or a 4-speed syncromesh manual or an automatic transmission.
Note: this manual DOES NOT include diesel engine information.
Book Excerpt: 1974-1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Repair Manual
V6 AND V8 ENGINES
OIL PUMP | REMOVAL, INSPECTION AND INSTALLATION
CHASSIS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
(Refer to illustration 15.4)
- Unscrew and remove the oil filter (see Chapter 1).
- Remove the screws attaching the oil pump cover assembly to the timing chain cover. Remove the cover assembly and slide out the oil pump gear(s).
- Wash off the gears with a proper solution and inspect for wear, scoring, etc. Replace any unserviceable gears with new ones.
- Unscrew the oil pressure relief valve cap, spring and valve cap, spring and valve (see illustration). Do not remove the oil filter by-pass valve and spring, as they are staked in place.
- Wash the parts thoroughly in the proper solvent and inspect the relief valve for wear and scoring. Check to make sure that the relief valve spring is not collapsed or worn on its side. Any relief valve spring which is questionable should be replaced with a new one.
- Check the relief valve in its bore in the cover. It should be an easy slip-fit only, and any side shake that can be felt is too much. The valve and/or cover should be replaced with a new one in this case.
- The filter by-pass valve should be flat and free of nicks, cracks or warping and scratches.
- Lubricate the pressure relief valve and spring, and install it in the bore of the oil pump case. Install the cap and gasket, and tighten the cap securely.
- If the above inspections reveal wear or if high mileage/low oil pressure indicate a faulty pump, replace it with a new one.
- If the condition of the pump is satisfactory at this point, remove the gears and pack the pocket full of petroleum jelly. Do not use chassis lube.
- Re-install the gears, making sure that petroleum jelly is forced into every cavity of the gear pocket and between the teeth of the gears. The pump may not prime itself when the engine is started, if the pump is not packed with the petroleum jelly.
- Install the pump cover assembly screws and tighten them alternately and evenly. Torque-tighten to Specifications.
- Install oil filter and check oil level with the dipstick. Pay close attention to the oil pressure gauge or warning light during the initial startup and driving period. Shut off the engine and inspect all work if a lack of pressure is indicated.
CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEM | DESCRIPTION AND CHECK
The cruise control system maintains vehicle speed with a vacuum actuated servo motor, located in the engine compartment, which is connected to the throttle linkage by a cable.
The system consists of the servo motor, clutch switch, brake switch, control switches, a relay and associated vacuum hoses.
Diagnosis can usually be limited to simple checks of the wiring and vacuum connections for minor faults which can be easily repaired. These include:
- Inspecting the cruise control actuating switches for broken wires and loose connections.
- Checking the cruise control fuse.
- Checking the hoses in the engine compartment for tight connections, cracks and obvious vacuum leaks. The cruise control system is operated by vacuum, so it's critical that all vacuum switches, hoses and connections are secure.
Subject: 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass service, maintenance, and repair instructions.
ISBN-10: 1850106118 | ISBN-13: 9781850106111 | Haynes 73015