This Chilton di-it-yourself repair manual, covers 1989-1995 Nissan Pickup Trucks and 1989-1995 Nissan Pathfinder SUVs, 2WD and 4WD, US and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1989-1995 Nissan Pick-Up Trucks, Pathfinder Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
OIL PUMP | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
SUSPENSION AND STEERING
Z24I AND KA24E ENGINES
(See Figures 82 and 83)
NOTE: The oil pump is mounted externally on the engine, eliminating the need to remove the oil pan in order to remove the oil pump.
- Match mark and remove the distributor, as detailed earlier in this section.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Remove the front stabilizer bar.
- Remove the splash shield board.
- Loosen the mounting bolts and remove the oil pump body with the drive spindle assembly.
- Before installing the oil pump in the engine, turn the crankshaft so that the No. 1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke.
- Fill the pump housing with engine oil, and then align the punch mark on the spindle with the hole in the oil pump.
- With a new gasket placed over the drive spindle, install the oil pump and drive spindle assembly so that the projection on the top of the drive spindle is located at the 11 o'clock position.
- Install the distributor with the metal tip of the rotor pointing toward the No.1 spark plug tower of the distributor cap.
- Install the splash shield and front stabilizer bar.
- Refill the engine with oil and then start and run the engine to normal operating temperature.
- Check ignition timing and adjust, as necessary, and then check for oil leaks.
FRONT AXLE HUB AND WHEEL BEARING
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION | 2WD MODELS
(See Figures 64, 65, 66 and 67)
NOTE: Refer to wheel bearing service and bearing preload adjustment procedures found in Section 1.
- Raise the front of the truck and support it with safety stands. Remove the wheels.
- Remove the brake caliper and suspend it with wire, out of the way. Remove the caliper torque plate if equipped.
- Remove the dust cap and then remove the cotter pin, lock washer (if equipped) nut lock and nut.
- Pull the hub/disc assembly off the spindle with the outer bearing. Don't let the bearing fall out.
- Pry the inner oil seal out and remove the inner bearing.
- Clean and inspect the bearings and outer races.
- Using a brass drift and a hammer, drive out the bearing outer race.
- Pack the bearings with grease until it oozes out the other side. Coat the inside of the hub and cap with grease.
- Position the inner bearing into the hub, coat the oil seal with grease and press it into the hub.
- Press the hub assembly onto the spindle and install the outer bearing and thrust washer.
- Install the hub nut. Turn the hub a few times to seat the bearings and then loosen the nut until there is Omm axial play.
Using a spring tension gauge, check that the preload (with new grease seal installed) is 2.2-6.4 lbs.
Subject: 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Nissan Pick-Up Trucks, Pathfinder service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801986710 | ISBN-13: 9780801986710 | Chilton 52502