The Mitsubishi Galant, Mirage, Diamante Repair Manual 1990-2000 by Chilton covers U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1990-2000 Mitsubishi Galant, Mirage, Diamante Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
ROCKER ARM, SHAFTS | REMOVAL and INSTALLATION
SUSPENSION AND STEERING
1.5L AND 1.8L ENGINES
(See Figures 13 and 14)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- For 1.8L engines, label and disconnect the spark plug cable.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable, breather hose and PCV hose connections.
- Remove the rocker cover.
- Loosen both rocker arm shaft assemblies gradually and evenly and remove the rocket shafts from the vehicle.
- If disassembly is required, keep all parts in the exact order of removal.
- Lubricate the rocker shaft with clean engine oil and install the rockers and springs.
- Install the rocker arm and shaft assemblies. Tighten the rocker arm shaft retainer bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Check valve adjustment and install the valve cover. Tighten the valve cover bolts to 16 inch lbs. (1.8 Nm) for the 1.5L engine or to 29 inch lbs. (3.3 Nm) for the 1.8L engine.
HUB AND BEARINGS: ADJUSTMENT
NOTE: Never disassemble the rear hub bearing. The wheel bearing is serviced by replacement of the hub.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel.
- Remove the caliper and brake disc or brake drum.
- Remove the dust cap and tighten the flange nut to 130 ft. lbs. (180 Nm).
- Using a dial indicator, measure wheel bearing end-play. The maximum limit for end-play is 0.0020 inches (0.05mm).
- Using a spring scale and a rope wrapped around the bolts, measure the rotary sliding resistance of the bearing/hub. The maximum limit for resistance is 4 lbs. (19 N).
- If any of the readings exceed the specifications, replacement of the hub is required.
- Install the dust cap.
- Install the brake disc and caliper, or brake drum.
- Install the rear wheel assembly and lower the vehicle to the floor.
Subject: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Mitsubishi Galant, Mirage, Diamante service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801993156 | ISBN-13: 9780801993152 | Chilton 50450