- GOING OUT OF PRINT - LIMITED QUANTITY -
This Chilton repair manual, covers 1990-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, and Plymouth Laser, U.S. and Canadian models.
Engines covered, include:
Book Excerpt: 1990-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Repair Manual
- 1.8L MFI
- 2.0L MFI and Turbo
- 2.4L MFI
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
TURBOCHARGER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figure 60)
Many turbocharger failures are due to oil supply problems. Heat soak after hot shutdown can cause the engine oil in the turbocharger and oil lines to "coke".
Often the oil feed lines will become partially or completely blocked with hardened particles of carbon, blocking oil flow. Check the oil feed pipe and oil return line for clogging. Clean these tubes well.
Always use new gaskets above and below the oil feed eyebolt fitting. Do not allow particles of dirt or old gasket material to enter the oil passage hole and that no portion of the new gasket blocks the passage.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine oil, cooling system and remove the radiator. On vehicles equipped with A/C, remove the condenser fan assembly with the radiator.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector and remove the sensor.
- Remove the oil dipstick and tube.
- Remove the air intake bellows hose, the waste gate vacuum hose, the connections for the air outlet hose, and the upper and lower heat shield.
- Unbolt the power steering pump and bracket assembly and leaving the hoses connected, wire it aside.
- Remove the self-locking exhaust manifold nuts, the triangular engine hanger bracket; the eyebolt and gaskets that connect the oil feed line to the turbo center section and the water cooling lines. The water line under the turbo has a threaded connection.
- Remove the exhaust pipe nuts and gasket and lift off the exhaust manifold. Discard the gasket.
- Remove the 2 through bolts and 2 nuts that hold the exhaust manifold to the turbocharger.
- Remove the 2 cap screws from the oil return line (under the turbo). Discard the gasket. Separate the turbo from the exhaust manifold. The 2 water pipes and oil feed line can still be attached.
- Visually check the turbine wheel (hot side) and compressor wheel (cold side) for cracking or other damage. Check whether the turbine wheel and the compressor wheel can be easily turned by hand. Check for oil leakage.
Check whether or not the waste gate valve remains open. If any problem is found, replace the part. Inspect oil passages for restriction or deposits and clean as required.
FUEL RAIL AND INJECTORS | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
EXCEPT1995-1998 2.0L NON-TURBO ENGINES
(See Figures 35,36,37,38 and 39)
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure as outlined earlier in this section.
- For 1990-94 vehicles, disconnect the PCV hose from the valve cover. On 1.8L engines, also disconnect the breather hose at the opposite end of the valve cover.
- For 1995-98 vehicles, tag and disconnect the spark plug wires.
- Remove the bolts holding the high pressure fuel line to the fuel rail and disconnect the line. Be prepared to contain fuel spillage; plug the line to keep out dirt and debris.
- Remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator.
- Disconnect the fuel return hose from the pressure regulator. Remove the fuel pressure regulator mounting bolts and remove from the fuel rail.
- On 1990-94 2.0L engines, remove the clamps holding the accelerator cable and remove the center engine cover from between the cam cover.
- Label and detach the injector electrical connectors.
- Remove the bolt(s) holding the fuel rail to the manifold. Carefully lift the rail up and remove it with the injectors attached. Be very careful not to drop any of the injectors. Place the rail and injectors in a safe location on a clean workbench; protect the tips of the injectors from dirt and/or impact.
- Remove and discard the injector insulators from the intake manifold. The insulators are not reusable.
- Remove the injectors from the fuel rail by pulling gently in a straight outward motion. Make certain the grommet and O-ring come off with the injector.
Subject: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801989574 | ISBN-13: 9780801989575 | Chilton 50400
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams