This repair manual by Clymer covers Mercury 45-225 HP 1972-1989. Mercury 2-stroke outboards, Merc inline 3, Merc inline 4, Merc inline 6, and Merc V6. Intended for the DIY boat mechanic.
Book Excerpt: 1972-1989 Mercury Outboard 45-225 HP Repair and Service Manual
TIMING POINTER ADJUSTMENT
(See Merc 1750 and 175 V6 (1978-on) in this chapter).
Refer to Table 18 for this procedure.
- On engines equipped with an idle stablizer or 3-wire spark advance module, disconnect the white/black wires at the outer switchbox terminal.
Tape the terminal end of the wire leading to the stabilizer to prevent it from grounding. Reinstall other white/black wire to switchbox.
This step is not required if engine is equipped with a 4-wire spark advance module.
- Disconnect the remote fuel line and electrical harness at the engine.
- Remove all spark plugs except the No. 1 (top cylinder, starboard bank) plug.
- Remove throttle cable barrel from its retainer on the cable anchor bracket.
- Unbolt sound attenuator, remove from carburetors and place to one side out of the way.
- Loosen idle stop screw locknut. Insert a 1/8 in. rod or drill into the throttle cam hole. On 1981 V225 and 1982 V200 engines equipped with a cam stamped 95790 and carburetors marked WH20-1, WH20-2 and WH20-3, see Figure 76 for correct cam hole location.
On other models, see Figure 77. Hold the rod or drill perpendicular to the throttle cam and adjust idle stop screw until rod or drill is against the edge of the carburetor flange. Tighten locknut and remove rod or drill.
- Connect a timing light according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Place engine in NEUTRAL and hold throttle arm with idle stop screw against its stop (A, Figure 78).
Loosen the primary pickup screw locknut (B, Figure 78).
Pointing the timing light at the flywheel, crank the engine and adjust the primary pickup screw until the timing pointer aligns with the timing decal mark specification (Table 18).
Subject: 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 Mercury Outboard 45-225 HP service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892873965 | ISBN-13: 9780892873968