- GOING OUT OF PRINT - LIMITED QUANTITY -
The 1988-1992 Honda GL1500 Gold Wing repair manual by Clymer covers the following models:
- Honda GL1500 Standard 1988-1990
- Honda GL1500SE SE 1990-1992
- Honda GL1500A Aspencade 1991-1992
- Honda GL1500I Interstate 1991-1992
Book Excerpt: 1988-1992 Honda GL1500 Gold Wing Repair Manual
ENGINE STARTING PROCEDURES
When experiencing engine starting troubles, it is easy to work out of sequence and forget basic engine starting procedures. The following sections list factory recommended starting procedures for the GL1500 engine at the following ambient temperatures and engine conditions:
- Cold engine with normal air temperature.
- Cold engine with low air temperature.
- Warm engine and/or high air temperature.
- Flooded engine.
- All models are equipped with a side stand ignition cut-off system. The position of the side stand will effect engine starting. Note the following:
- The engine cannot start when the side stand is down and the transmission in any gear except NEUTRAL.
- The engine can start when the side stand is down and the transmission is in NEUTRAL. The engine will stop if the transmission is put in gear with the side stand down.
- The engine can be started when the side stand is up and the transmission is in NEUTRAL or in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.
- Before starting the engine, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL and confirm that the engine stop switch is at RUN.
- Turn the ignition switch to ON and confirm the following:
- The neutral indicator light in ON (when transmission is in NEUTRAL).
- The engine oil pressure warning light in ON.
If the coolant level has been dropping, check the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump housing. A, Figure 23 shows the weep hole with the water pump removed for clarity.
If coolant leaks from the hole, the internal water pump seal is damaged; replace the water pump as a unit.
If coolant is not leaking from the weep hole, pressure test the cooling system as described in Chapter Three.
- Remove the undercover as described in Chapter Fifteen.
- Drain the engine coolant as described in Chapter Three.
- Drain the engine oil as described in Chapter Three.
- Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the water pump cover (Figure 24).
Subject: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 Honda GL1500 Gold Wing service, maintenance, and repair procedures.
ISBN-10: 0892875933 | ISBN-13: 9780892875931 | Clymer M505