The 1982-1994 General Motors passenger cars repair manual by Haynes, covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 1982-1994 Buick Skyhawk, Cadillac Cimarron, Chevy Cavalier, Olds Firenza, Pontiac J2000, Sunbird Repair Manual
- Buick Skyhawk
- Cadillac Cimarron
- Chevrolet Cavalier
- Oldsmobile Firenza
- Pontiac J2000
- Pontiac Sunbird
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
ELECTRIC PUMP (FUEL-INJECTED MODELS)
ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
(Refer to illustrations 7.15, 7.16 and 7.18)
- Relieve the fuel system pressure (see Section 2).
- Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal.
CAUTION: If the vehicle is equipped with a Delco Loc II audio system, make sure you have the correct activation code before disconnecting the battery. See the information at the front of this manual for the radio re-activation procedure.
- Remove the fuel tank (see Section 5).
- The fuel pump/sending unit assembly is located inside the fuel tank. It is held in place by a cam lock ring mechanism consisting of an inner ring with three locking cams and an outer ring with three tangs. The outer ring is welded to the tank and can't be turned.
- To unlock the fuel pump/sending unit assembly, turn the inner ring counterclockwise using a hammer and a BRASS punch or hardwood dowel until the locking cams are free of the tangs (see illustration).
WARNING: Do not use a steel punch to knock the lock rings loose - a spark could cause an explosion!
- Lift the fuel pump/sending unit assembly from the fuel tank (see illustration).
CAUTION: The fuel level float and sending unit are delicate. Do not bump them against the tank during removal or the accuracy of the sending unit may be affected.
- Inspect the condition of the rubber gasket around the mouth of the lock ring mechanism. If it is dried, cracked or deteriorated, replace it.
HALL EFFECT SWITCH (HEI SYSTEMS) | CHECK AND REPLACEMENT
(Refer to illustration 10.2)
- Some HEI distributors are equipped with a Hall effect switch which is located above the pick-up coil assembly. The Hall effect switch is used in place of the R terminal of the HEI distributor to send engine RPM information to the ECM.
- Test the switch by connecting a 12-volt power supply and voltmeter as shown (see illustration). Check the polarity markings carefully before making any connections.
- When the knife blade is not inserted as shown, the voltmeter should read less than 0.5 volts. If the reading is more, the Hall effect switch is faulty and must be replaced.
Subject: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Buick Skyhawk, Cadillac Cimarron, Chevy Cavalier, Olds Firenza, Pontiac J2000, Sunbird service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563921219 | ISBN-13: 9781563921216 | Haynes 38015