This repair manual covers 1982-1996 General Motors passenger cars, including:
- Buick Century
- Chevrolet Celebrity
- Oldsmobile Ciera
- Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser
- Pontiac 6000
Note: this manual does not include diesel engine or 4WD information.
Book Excerpt: 1982-1996 Buick Century, Chevy Celebrity, Olds Ciera and Cutlass, Pontiac 6000 Repair Manual
2.5L FOUR-CYLINDER ENGINE
TIMING GEAR COVER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
CLUTCH AND DRIVEAXLES
(Refer to illustrations 15.7 and 15.13)
- Remove the crankshaft pulley hub as described in Section 14.
- Remove the lower alternator bracket.
- Remove the front engine mount-to-cradle nuts.
- Raise the engine sufficiently with a jack to allow removal of the engine support bracket and mount assembly.
- Remove the mounting bracket-to-engine block bolts and remove the support bracket and mount as an assembly.
- Remove the oil pan-to-timing gear cover bolts.
- Remove the timing cover-to-block bolts (see illustration).
- Using a sharp knife, cut the oil pan front gasket (RTV only is used on later models) flush with the engine block at both sides.
- Remove the cover and the attached portion of the oil pan gasket.
- Remove the cover gasket.
- Using a scraper and degreaser, remove all dirt and old gasket material from the sealing surfaces of the timing gear cover, engine block and oil pan.
Gasket removal solvents are available at auto parts stores and may prove helpful.
- Remove the front oil seal by carefully prying it out of the timing gear cover with a large screwdriver. Do not distort the cover.
DRIVEAXLE | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 11.5, 11.6, 11.9 and 11.10)
- Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery. Caution: If the stereo in your vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft system, make sure you have the correct activation code before disconnecting the battery.
- Set the parking brake.
- Loosen the front wheel lug nuts, raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the driveaxle/hub nut and washer. To prevent the disc/hub from turning, wedge a long punch into the brake disc cooling vanes and allow it to rest against the caliper anchor (see illustration).
- To loosen the driveaxle from the hub splines, tap the end of the driveaxle with a soft-faced hammer or a hammer and a brass punch (see illustration).
Subject: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 Buick Century, Chevy Celebrity, Olds Ciera and Cutlass, Pontiac 6000 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563922096 | ISBN-13: 9781563922091 | Haynes 38005