This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers Ford and Mercury full-size passenger cars, including the following models:
- Ford LTD 1975-1982
- Ford Custom 500
- Ford Country Squire
- Ford Crown Victoria
- Mercury Marquis, 1975-1982
- Mercury Grand Marquis
- Mercury Colony Park
Engine options include: 4.2L (225), 5.0L (302), 5.8L (351), 6.6L (400), and 7.5L (460) V8 engines.
Book Excerpt: 1975-1987 Ford LTD, Custom 500, Crown Victoria, Mercury Marquis, Colony Park, etc. Repair Manual
4.2, 5.0, 5.8, 6.6 AND 7.5 LITER V-8 ENGINES
ENGINE | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Note: The engine must be removed with the transmission remaining in place in the vehicle. Also, due to the wide range of vehicle models and engines covered by this manual, the following instructions are general in nature and may include some steps not applicable to your vehicle.
- Remove the battery cables (negative first, then positive) from the battery.
- Mark the position of the hood with a scribe or marking pen so it can be installed in the same position.
- Remove the hood and cover the fenders for protection.
- Remove the air cleaner and related emissions control components and supply hoses. Cover the carburetor inlet with a clean cloth.
- Remove all vacuum lines from the intake manifold area. All lines and hoses should be clearly marked to prevent confusion when the engine is being installed.
- Remove the fuel feed hose from the fuel pump. Use caution when performing this step as gasoline is flammable. All precautions pertaining to flammable liquids should be observed.
- Plug the feed hose with a golf tee or a pencil to prevent fuel leakage.
- Disconnect the wires at the rear of the engine and mark them clearly with numbered tape to simplify installation. In many cases there will be a large multi-wired connector.
However, some vehicles will be equipped with individual wires leading to components such as the ignition coil and emissions control related items.
- Remove the starter cable from the starter and position the cable out of the way.
- Remove the spark plug wires and distributor cap as a unit.
- Remove the choke cable from the carburetor.
- Disconnect the transmission kickdown cable or linkage from the carburetor and the transmission bellhousing.
REAR DOOR WINDOW GLASS | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Remove the door trim and water shield.
- Remove the three screws at the weather stripping belt line.
- Support the glass and remove the center of the attaching rivets with a punch, drilling out the remainder with a 1/4-inch drill bit.
- Remove the glass support and remove the glass.
- Install the nylon glass protectors.
- Place the glass in the door and install the glass bracket to the glass, using 1/4-inch by 1-inch bolts with nuts.
Subject: 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987 Ford and Mercury Full-Size Models service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1850104611 | ISBN-13: 9781850104612 | Haynes 36036