- OUT OF PRINT -
This DIY service, repair and maintenance manual by Haynes, covers all 1977-1980 Ford Fiesta models, including:
- Ford Fiesta Base
- Ford Fiesta Decor
- Ford Fiesta Sport (S)
- Ford Fiesta Ghia
All with 1.6L (97.6 ci) engines.
Book Excerpt: 1977-1980 Ford Fiesta Repair Manual
COOLING AND HEATING SYSTEM
THERMOSTAT | REMOVAL, TESTING AND REFITTING
SUSPENSION, STEERING AND DRIVE SHAFTS
- Partially drain the cooling system as described in Section 2.
- Slacken the top radiator hose to the thermostat housing and remove the hose. Where fitted, remove the two leads from the thermal switch in the housing.
- Undo and remove the two bolts and spring washers that secure the thermostat housing to the cylinder head.
- Carefully lift the thermostat housing away from the cylinder head (photo). Recover the joint washer adhering to either the housing or cylinder head.
- Lift the thermostat from its location in the cylinder head (photo).
- Test the thermostat for correct functioning by suspending it on a string a saucepan of cold water together with a thermometer.
Heat the water and not the temperature at which the thermostat begins to open. This should be as given in the Specifications.
Continue heating the water until the thermostat is fully open. Then let it cool down naturally.
STEERING COLUMN | REMOVAL, DISMANTLING, REASSEMBLY AND REPLACEMENT
- Disconnect the battery ground lead.
- Carefully pry out the motif from the center of the steering wheel and then unscrew the wheel retaining nut, but do not remove it.
- Ensure that the road wheels are in the straight-ahead position then pull the steering wheel free, and remove the nut and wheel.
- Remove the direction indicator actuator cam.
- Unscrew the upper shroud retaining screw and remove the upper shroud.
- Unscrew the three lower column shroud retaining screws and remove the lower shroud.
- Unscrew the two screws and lower the dash panel trim. Slacken the choke cable clamp and allow the cable to hang down.
- Remove the light switch, wiper switch and multi-function switch from the column (two pairs of screws, one multi-plug each).
- Disconnect the multi-plug from the ignition switch.
- Insert the ignition key and turn it to disengage the steering column lock. Leave the key in the 'I' (accessories) position.
- Remove the two steering column retaining bolts and two nuts. Lift the column assembly from the vehicle.
- Drill off the steering column lock bolt leads, or tap them round with pin punch, then use suitable grips to pull out the bolt shanks. Remove the steering lock (refer to Chapter 8 if necessary).
Subject: 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980 Ford Fiesta service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0856969443 | ISBN-13: 9780856969447 | Haynes 36032