The 1988-1997 Ford Festiva and 1994-1997 Ford Aspire repair and maintenance manual by Haynes, covers all U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1988-1997 Ford Festiva, Aspire Repair Manual
CAMSHAFT | REMOVAL, INSPECTION AND INSTALLATION
SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS
REMOVAL (Refer to illustrations 10.5, 10.6 and 10.8)
- Remove the valve cover (see Section 4).
- Remove the distributor (see Chapter 5).
- Remove the timing belt covers, timing belt, and camshaft sprocket (see Sections 7 and 8).
- Refer to Section 9 and remove the rocker arms/shafts assembly.
- Measure the thrust clearance (endplay) of the camshaft(s) with a dial indicator (see illustration). If the clearance is greater than the value listed in this Chapter's Specifications, replace the camshaft thrust plate, camshaft and/or the cylinder head (see Section 12).
- Remove the bolt and the camshaft thrust plate (see illustration).
- Depending on the model, you may have to remove the air cleaner assembly (see Chapter 4) and/or the battery (see Chapter 5) for room to remove the camshaft from the back of the cylinder head (left side of vehicle).
- Remove the camshaft oil seal (see Section 8), then pull the camshaft straight out of the cylinder head (see illustration).
STABILIZER BAR AND BUSHINGS | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4)
- Loosen the front wheel lug nuts. Raise the front of the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Apply the parking brake and block the rear wheels to keep the vehicle from rolling off the stands. Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the stabilizer bar bushing bracket nuts (see illustration) and remove the brackets.
- Remove the cotter pins and nuts from the ends from the control arms (see illustration).
- Pull the stabilizer forward and disengage the ends from the control arms (see illustration).
- Remove and inspect the stabilizer bar bushings. If they're warped, cracked, torn or otherwise damaged, replace them.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure that the concave washers are installed with the dished side facing out, away from the bushings. Be sure to tighten all fasteners to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
CONTROL ARM | REMOVAL, INSPECTION AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 5.3, 5.4a and 5.4b)
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts on the side to be dismantled, raise the front of the vehicle, support it securely on jackstands and remove the wheel.
- Remove the stabilizer bar-to-control arm nut and concave washer (see illustration 4.3).
- Remove the bolt and nut from the inner control arm pivot (see illustration).
Subject: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 Ford Festiva, Aspire service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563922878 | ISBN-13: 9781563922879 | Haynes 36030