- OUT OF PRINT-
This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 1974-1980 Fiat X1/9 models with 1.3L and 1.5L engines.
Book Excerpt: 1974-1980 Fiat X1/9 1.3 L, 1.5 L Repair Manual
SECOND SHAFT GEAR CLUSTER | DISMANTLING AND REASSEMBLY
- If the bearing has not yet been removed when taking the shaft out of the transmission, take it off now, by holding the outer race in the hand, and hitting the end of the shaft with a soft hammer.
- One by one take the gears with their bushes, and the gear-engaging dog-clutches on their hubs off the shaft, keeping them all in order, and the same way round.
- If the synchromesh was in good order, do not dismantle it, as reassembly is difficult due to the strength of the circlip.
- To strip the synchromesh, simply take the circlip off the gear wheel side. See how all the rings, half rings, and stops, fit inside and then lift them out.
- Keep all parts laid out in order. Though many parts are interchangeable (otherwise how they go is obvious from examining them and from the photos in this book), it saves having to work everything out. It is also better to fit everything back where it came from.
- Reassembly of the components is the reverse. Check that all is correct by referring to the drawings and photos.
- To refit the circlip on a synchromesh unit is difficult. Mount the gearwheel in a soft jawed, clean vise, gripping the flanks of the gearwheel.
Part the circlip with circlip pliers, or else pry it apart with a screwdriver, to get it part way into position. Then work all the way round with more screwdrivers, to force it into position.
An assistant with another screwdriver is almost essential.
CONDENSER | REMOVAL, TESTING AND REFITTING
- The purpose of the condenser (sometimes known as capacitor) is to ensure that when the contact breaker points open there is no sparking across them which would weaken the spark and cause rapid deterioration of the points.
- The condenser is fitted in parallel with the contact breaker points. If it develops a short circuit, it will cause ignition failure as the points will be prevented from interrupting the low tension circuit.
- If the engine becomes very difficult to start or begins to misfire while running and the breaker points show signs of excessive burning, then suspect the condenser has failed with open circuit.
A further test can be made by separating the points by hand with the ignition switched on. If this is accompanied by a bright spark at the contact points it is indicative that the condenser has failed.
- Without special test equipment the only sure way to diagnose condenser trouble is to renew a suspected unit with a new one and note if there is any improvement.
- To remove the condenser from the distributor, take out the screw which secures it to the distributor body and slacken the insulated terminal nut enough to remove the wire connection tag.
- When fitting the condenser it is vital to ensure that the fixing screw is secure and the condenser tightly held. The lead must be secure on the terminal with no chance of short circuiting.
Subject: 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980 Fiat X1/9 1.3L, 1.5L service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0856967173 | ISBN-13: 9780856967177 | Haynes 34025