The 1994-2001 Ducati 748, 916, 996 Repair Manual by Haynes, covers the following models:
- Ducati 748 Biposto, 1995-1999
- Ducati 748, 748S, 2000-2001
- Ducati 748SP, 748SPS, 1995-1999
- Ducati 916 Strada, 916 Biposto, 1994-1999
- Ducati 916 Senna, 1995
- Ducati 916SP, 916SPS, Foggy Replica, 1994-1998
- Ducati 996 Biposto, 1999-2001
- Ducati 996SPS, 1999-2000
- Ducati 996S, 2001
Note: This book does NOT cover 748-R or 996-R models.
Book Excerpt: 1994-2001 Ducati 748, 916, 996 V-Twins Repair Manual
PISTONS: REMOVAL, INSPECTION, INSTALLATION
Note: The pistons can be removed with the engine in the frame. If the engine has already been removed, ignore the steps which do not apply.
IGNITION POWER MODULES (P8 SYSTEM) | CHECK, REMOVAL, INSTALLATION
- Remove the cylinder head and barrel (see Sections 10 and 13).
- Before removing the piston from the rod, stuff a clean, lint-free cloth into the crankcase mouth around the connecting rod. This will prevent the circlip from falling into the crankcase if it is inadvertently dropped.
- If both pistons are being removed, mark the piston (H for horizontal cylinder, V for vertical cylinder) for identification purposes. Use a sharp scriber (or marker pen if the piston is clean enough) to make the identification mark on the piston crown.
- Support the piston and prise one of the circlips out with a small, flat-bladed screwdriver (see illustration). Discard the circlip; it must never be reused.
- Push the piston pin out from the opposite end to free the piston from the rod. You may have to deburr the area around the groove to enable the pin to slide out (use a triangular file for this procedure). If the pin won?t come out, the pin can be tapped carefully out of the position, using a hammer and suitable drift, whilst supporting the connecting rod and piston.
- Before the inspection process can be carried out, the piston must be cleaned and the old piston rings removed.
- Using the piston ring removal and installation tool or a feeler gauge, carefully remove the rings from the piston (see illustration). Do not nick or gouge the pistons in the process.
The ignition power modules (one for each coil) are delicate and expensive components requiring the use of specialist equipment for testing. If a power module is suspected of being faulty, the best way to determine this is to substitute it with another module which is known to be functioning correctly. Both modules are identical so if only one is faulty, they can be easily be checked by swapping them over. If this transfers the problem to the other cylinder then the module is confirmed faulty.
Unlock the seat cowling, raise it and rest it on the fuel tank. The ignition power modules are mounted on each side of the engine management ECU.
Ensure the ignition is switched off, then remove the bolt securing the relevant power module bracket to the side of the engine management ECU. Disconnect its wiring connector and remove the power module. If necessary, undo the retaining screws and washers and separate the module and bracket.
Ensure the power module and bracket mating surfaces are clean and dry. Assemble the module and bracket and securely refit the retaining screws and washers. Do not overtighten the screws.
Ensure the ignition is switched off, then reconnect the wiring connector to the power module.
Subject: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000,
2001 Ducati 748, 916, 996 V-twins service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 185960756X | ISBN-13: 9781859607565 | Haynes 3756