This repair manual covers 1967-1976 Dodge Dart, Dodge Demon, Plymouth Valiant, Plymouth Duster, and 1967-1969 Plymouth Barracuda. All 6-cylinder engines.
Note: This manual does not include V8 engine info.
Book Excerpt: 1967-1976 Dodge Dart, Plymouth Valiant Repair Manual
IGNITION TIMING (MECHANICAL TYPE CONTACT BREAKER)
- After engine overhaul or removal and installation of the distributor, the basic ignition timing should be set using a test lamp. This should only be regarded as a means of getting the engine started and to be able to run it to normal operating temperature.
Final timing adjustment should then be carried out using a stroboscopic timing lamp.
- Connect a test lamp between the primary (LT) terminal of the distributor and a good ground.
- Turn the crankshaft until No. 1 piston is coming up on its compression stroke. This can be ascertained if No. 1 spark plug is removed and the finger placed over the hole to feel the compression being generated.
- Continue to turn the crankshaft until the notch on the crankshaft pulley is opposite the appropriate basic ignition setting mark on the scale on the front of the timing chain cover.
The basic ignition setting for a particular vehicle and engine is given in the Specifications Section (photo).
- Release the distributor clamp plate bolt so that the distributor can be turned stiffly.
- Switch on the ignition and turn the distributor body until the point is reached where any slight further movement and the test lamp will light up.
- Tighten the clamp bolt, remove the test lamp and switch off the ignition.
BULBS (EXTERIOR LIGHTS) | REPLACEMENT
- The following details are general, in application, due to the many minor changes in design which have occurred to lamp units over the years of production of this range of cars.
FRONT TURN INDICATOR AND PARKING LIGHTS
- Remove the lens securing screws and withdraw the lens. Pull the bulb from its socket. When refitting the lens, make sure that the gasket is in good condition. The parking light bulb is accessible after withdrawing the headlight (photo).
FRONT TURN INDICATION SIGNAL LIGHT
- On early models, disconnect the light wire from the wiring harness connector plug.
- Reach under the front fender and unscrew the capnut and remove the clip. Withdraw the lamp assembly from under the fender.
- Unscrew the lens from the socket and withdraw the bulb.
- On later models, remove the cover and lens (one screw) and withdraw the capless type bulb.
Subject: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976 Dodge Dart, Plymouth Valiant service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1850102112 | ISBN-13: 9781850102113 | Haynes 30025