- GOING OUT OF PRINT - LIMITED QUANTITY -
This Chilton DIY repair and service manual, covers 1985-2000 Chevy Sprint, Chevy Metro, Geo Metro and Suzuki Swift cars, all U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1985-2000 Chevrolet Sprint, Geo Metro, Suzuki Swift Repair Manual
DRIVEABILITY AND EMISSION CONTROLS
TESTING | EGR VALVE
- Run the engine until normal operating temperature.
- Place a finger on the EGR valve diaphragm and accelerate the engine ? the diaphragm should move.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the EGR valve.
- Apply 10 in. Hg of vacuum to the valve and place a finger on the diaphragm. The valve should move and the engine should stall.
BI-METAL VACUUM SWITCHING VALVE (BVSV)
- Check the filter for contamination and damage. Clean using compressed air.
- Remove the modulator and plug the nozzle with a finger. Blow air into another nozzle and check that air passes through to the air filter side freely.
- Install a vacuum pump to nozzle P and plug nozzle Q with a finger. Blow air into nozzle A and operate the vacuum pump. Should not be able to obtain vacuum on the pump.
VACUUM SWITCHING VALVE (VSV)
- Disconnect the hose from the valve.
- With the BVSV cool (engine temperature below 113-degrees F) blow into both nozzles individually. Air should come out of the filter.
- With the BVSV warm (engine temperature above 140-degress F) blow into both nozzles individually. Air should not come out of the filter.
SOLENOID VACUUM VALVE
- Disconnect the hoses and electrical connectors from the solenoid.
- Use a DVOM to check the resistance between the 2 terminals; should be 33 ? 39 ohms resistance. If not, replace the solenoid.
- Blow into tube A, air should exhaust through the filter, not tube B.
- Reconnect the electrical connector. With the ignition switch ON and ALDL connector grounded, blow air into tube A. The air should exhaust from tube B.
- Remove the electrical connector from the valve.
- Label and remove the two vacuum hoses from the valve.
- Using an Ohmmeter, check the resistance between the two terminals. The reading should be 33 ohms to 39 ohms at 68-degrees F (20-degrees C).
- Blow air into the tube that is parallel to the electrical terminals. Air should pass out of the filter but not the other tube.
- Replace the valve if it does not pass any one of these test.
CLUTCH | ADJUSTMENTS (Refer to figure 26)
- At the console, loosen the gear shift control housing nuts and the guide plate bolts.
- Adjust the guide plate by displacing it toward the front and rear so that the gear shift control lever is brought in the middle of the guide plate at the right angle.
- Once the guide plate is positioned properly, tighten the guide plate bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (9 Nm( and then the housing nuts to 4 ft. lbs. (5 Nm).
- Disconnect the clutch switch electrical connector.
- Depress the clutch pedal to the floor and return to within 0.6 ? 0.12 in. of its travel from the floor.
- Attach an ohmmeter to the clutch switch connector.
- Adjust the clutch switch until continuity is obtained.
- Tighten the clutch switch to 115 inch lbs. (13 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connector.
Subject: 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Chevrolet Sprint, Geo Metro, Suzuki Swift service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563924277 | ISBN-13: 9781563924279 | Chilton 28700