This repair and service manual covers all models of 1976-1988 Chevy Chevette and 1976-1988 Pontiac 1000. U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1976-1988 Chevrolet Chevette, Pontiac 1000 Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
CRANKSHAFT AND MAIN BEARINGS (DIESEL ENGINE)
INSPECTION (See Figures 79 thru 85)
- Check the faces of the crankshaft journals, crankpin and oil seal fitting faces for wear and damage, and oil port restrictions. No attempt should be made to grind finish the faces of the crankshaft journals and crankpins.
- Support the crankshaft on aligner or V-blocks at #1 and #5 journals and check for runout by turning the crankshaft carefully in one direction with the probe of a dial indicator resting on #3 journal. Take the highest reading. If the amount of runout is greater than 0.06mm, correct or replace the crankshaft.
- Measure the diameters of the crankshaft journals and crankpins at the front and rear (I and II) in directions of A and B, to determine the amount of wear and taper wear.
- Standard Journal Diameter: 55.92-55.935mm
- Standard Pin Diameter: 48.925-48.94mm
Inspect and measure bearing inside diameter as follows:
- Check the inner face of the bearings for pin holes, separation or sculling. Replace the entire set of bearing if any of them are found to be defective.
- Install crankshaft bearings into position on the cylinder blocks. Then install the bearing caps and bolts. Tighten the bearing cap bolts to 100 Nm (75 ft. lbs.) and measure the inside diameter with an inside micrometer or a cylinder bore indicator. Standard bearing and journal clearance is 0.039-0.08mm.
- Install the connecting rod bearing on the rod big end with the bearing cap. Install and torque the bearing cap bolts to 80 Nm (60 ft. lbs.), and then measure the inside diameter of the bearing with an inside micrometer or a cylinder bore indicator.
Pin and bearing clearance:
- Standard 0.04-0.07mm
- Limit -0.12mm
MEASUREMENT OF CLEARANCE WITH GAUGING PLASTIC
- Wipe the crankshaft journals and crankpins to remove oil.
- Install the bearings on the cylinder block and mount the crankshaft in position carefully; and then turn the crankshaft about thirty degrees to ensure a good contact between the crankshaft and bearings.
- Position gauging plastic over the crankshaft journal in direction in line with the axis of the crankshaft, so that it covers the entire width of the bearing.
- Install the bearing cap and tighten the bearing cap bolts to 95 Nm (70 ft. lbs.). Do not turn the crankshaft with gauging plastic installed.
Subject: 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 Chevy Chevette, Pontiac 1000 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801990696 | ISBN-13: 9780801990694 | Chilton 28400