This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 1971-1985 Cadillac, Oldsmobile, and Buick automobiles, including:
- Cadillac Eldorado, 1971-1985
- Cadillac Seville, 1980-1985
- Oldsmobile Toronado, 1971-1985
- Buick Riviera, 1979-1985
Note: This manual does not include diesel engine information.
Book Excerpt: 1971-1985 Cadillac Eldorado, Seville, Olds Toronado, Buick Riviera Repair Manual
ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
VACUUM ADVANCE | CHECK AND REPLACEMENT
SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS
CHECK (Refer to illustration 9.45)
- Refer to Chapter 1, ignition timing check and adjustment, and hook up a timing light as described there.
- Start the engine and set the speed at approximately 2,500 rpm.
- Observe the timing marks at the front of the engine and remove the vacuum hose from the vacuum advance control unit on the distributor.
When the hose is removed, the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley should appear to move closer to the stationary mark on the timing tab. When the hose is reconnected, the mark should move away again.
- If reconnecting the vacuum hose produces an abrupt increase in advance or none at all, the vacuum advance control unit is probably defective.
NOTE: Another method to check the vacuum advance assembly is to connect a vacuum pump to the vacuum advance (see illustration) and observe the distributor plate for the proper movement.
REPLACEMENT (Refer to illustration 9.5)
- Remove the distributor cap and rotor (see illustration).
- Remove the two screws that retain the vacuum advance mechanism to the distributor housing.
- Unhook the advance arm from the distributor plate by pushing down on it with a narrow punch, then remove the unit from the distributor.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
UPPER CONTROL ARM (FRONT) | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
REMOVAL (Refer to illustration 8.5)
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts, raise the front of the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Apply the parking brake. Remove the wheel.
- Support the lower control arm with a floor jack. Caution: The jack must remain under the control arm during removal and installation of the balljoint to hold the control arm in position.
- Disconnect the upper balljoint from the steering knuckle (see illustration 5.7b).
- Remove the upper shock absorber mounting nut and bolt (see Section 3).
- Mark the relationship of the cam bolts to the frame bracket. Remove the control arm-to-frame bracket nuts and bolts (see illustration).
Subject: 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985 Cadillac Eldorado, Seville, Olds Toronado, Buick Riviera service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563922312 | ISBN-13: 9781563922312 | Haynes 38030