This repair and service manual covers the following 1975-1990 GM vehicles:
- Buick Electra, LeSabre, Estate Wagon
- Oldsmobile Delta 88, Ninety-Eight, Custom Cruiser
- Pontiac Bonneville, Catalina, Grand Ville, Parisienne, Safari
Note: covers all U.S. and Canadian models with rear wheel drive.
Engines: (number of cylinders in brackets)
Buick: 231 (6) | 252 (6)| 267 (8) | 301 (8) | 305 (8) | 307 (8) | 350 (8) | 350 (8) | 350 (8) | 350 Diesel (8) | 400 (8) | 403 (8) | 455 (8)
Oldsmobile: 231 (6) | 252 (6) | 260 (8) | 301 (8) | 307 (8) | 350 (8) | 350 Diesel (8) | 400 (8) | 403 (8) | 455 (8)
Pontiac: 231 (6) | 252 (6) | 262 (6) | 265 (8) | 301 (8) | 305 (8) | 307 (8) | 350 (8) | 350 Diesel (8) | 400 (8) | 403 (8) | 455 (8)
Book Excerpt: 1975-1990 Buick Electra, LeSabre, Estate Wagon; Olds Delta 88, Ninety-Eight, Custom Cruiser; Pontiac Bonneville, Catalina, Grand Ville, Parisienne, Safari Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
ROD BEARING REPLACEMENT
BODY AND TRIM
(See Figure 193, 194 and 195)
Connecting rod bearings for the engines covered in this guide consists of two halves of shells which are interchangeable in the rod and cap. When the shells are placed in position, the ends extend slightly beyond the rod and cap surfaces so that when the rod bolts are torqued the shells will be clamped tightly in place to insure positive seating and to prevent turning. A tang holds the shells in place.
NOTE: The ends of the bearing shells must never be filed flush with the mating surface of the rod and cap.
If a rod bearing becomes noisy or it's worn so that its clearance on the crank journal is sloppy, a new bearing of the correct undersize must be selected and installed since there is no provision for adjustment.
CAUTION! Under no circumstances should the rod end or cap be filed to adjust the bearing clearance, nor should shims of any kind be used.
Inspect the rod bearings while the rod assemblies are out of the engine. If the shells are scored or show flaking, they should be replaced.
If they are in good shape check for proper clearance on the crank journal. Any scoring or ridges on the crank journal means the crankshaft must be replaced, or reground and fitted with undersized bearings.
POWER SUNROOF | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figure 18)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Place the sunshade in the stowed position.
- Move the sliding panel rearward until the front rollers on the sliding panel contact the bottom of the cable guide ramp (forward down position).
- Remove the garnish moldings, coat hooks, map lamp retainer, and dome lamp.
- Remove the sunroof opening headlining close-out face.
- Remove the headlining material from the headlining retainer.
- Disengage and lower the headlining.
- Disconnect the wire harness from the switch and the dome lamp and remove the headlining.
- Remove the dome lamp retaining studs.
- Remove the hoses form the housing.
- Remove the screws from each of the rearmost side supports.
- Remove the screws holding the housing to the front header.
- Support the sunroof housing and remove the nuts from the side front screws that retain the housing to the roof supports. Lower and remove the sun roof housing.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque nuts at the side front locations to 7-10 ft. lbs. (10-14 Nm).
Subject: 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990. Buick Electra, LeSabre, Estate Wagon; Olds Delta 88, Ninety-Eight, Custom Cruiser; Pontiac Bonneville, Catalina, Grand Ville, Parisienne, Safari service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801985846 | ISBN-13: 9780801985843 | Chilton 28240