The 1949-1969 Volkswagen Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Bus, Fastback, Notchback, Squareback Repair Manual by Chilton covers all U.S. and Canadian models of these popular VW vehicles.
Like all Chilton manuals available at The Motor Bookstore, this how-to guide can also be used as a VW restoration supplement for all things mechanical.
A definite must-have book for the serious 1949-1969 Bettle, Karmann Ghia or VW Bus DIY owner.
Book Excerpt: 1949-1969 VW Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Bus, Fastback, Notchback, Squareback Repair Manual
ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND TUNE-UP
THROTTLE REGULATOR | ADJUSTMENT
The exhaust system control device used on 1968-1969 type 1 and 2 vehicles is the throttle valve regulator. This device holds the throttle open slightly on deceleration to prevent an excessively rich mixture.
The throttle regulator unit is of a one piece design, and mounted on the carburetor.
- The engine must be at operating temperature with the automatic choke fully open.
- Start the engine. Turn the regulator adjusting screw clockwise until the control rod just starts to move the throttle valve lever. The stop collar on the control rod will be against the regulator body. Engine speed should be 1,700 - 1,800 rpm.
- If the speed is too high, shorten the control rod.
- After adjustment, tighten the locknuts on the control rod.
- Turn the regulator adjusting screw counterclockwise until an idle speed of 850 rpm is obtained.
- Increase engine speed to 3,000 rpm, then release the throttle valve lever. The engine should take 3-4 seconds to return to idle.
NOTE: Incorrect throttle regulator adjustment may cause erratic idle, excessively high idle speed, and backfiring on deceleration.
TRANSAXLE ASSEMBLY | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
SWING AXLE MODELS
- With the engine removed from the car, remove the rear wheels, disconnect the brake lines at the rear wheels and plug the lines.
- Disconnect the parking brake cables from the push bar at the frame and withdraw the cables from their conduit tubes.
- Remove the bolts at the rear axle shaft bearing.
- Disconnect the clutch release cable from the operating shaft lever and pull it from its guide plate.
- From the access hole under the rear seat, disconnect the shift rod in back of the coupling.
- Remove the nuts from the mounting studs at the front of the transmission.
- Remove the lower shock absorber mounting bolts and mark the position of the rear torsion bar radius arm in relation to the rear axle bearing housing by using a chisel.
- Disconnect the wires from the starter motor.
- Disconnect the ground strap from the frame and remove the nuts from the auxiliary spring rods (1966 Squareback and 1967-68 Beetles).
- Place a suitable jack under the unit, and remove the two bolts at the transmission attachments with a 27mm wrench.
Subject: 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 Volkswagen Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Bus, Fastback, Notchback and Squareback service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801990734 | ISBN-13: 9780801990731 | Chilton 70200