- OUT OF PRINT -
The 1983-1988 Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar and Mercury XR7 DIY repair manual by Haynes, covers models indicated.
Book Excerpt: 1983-1988 Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar Repair Manual
V6 AND V8 ENGINES
VALVE LIFTERS | REMOVAL, INSPECTION AND INSTALLATION
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
(Refer to illustrations 12.3a, 12.3b, 12.4a, 12.4b, 12.4c and 12.4d)
- Remove the intake manifold (Section 6).
- Remove the rocker arms and pushrods (Section 4).
- There are several ways to extract the lifters from the bores. Special tools designed to grip and remove lifters are manufactured by many tool companies and are widely available. (see illustration), but may not be needed in every case.
On newer engines without a lot of varnish buildup, the lifters can often be removed with a small magnet (see illustration) or even with your fingers.
A machinist's scribe with a bent end can be used to pull the lifters out by positioning the point under the retainer ring in the top of each lifter.
CAUTION: Don't use pliers to remove the lifters unless you intend to replace them with new ones (along with the camshaft). The pliers may damage the precision machined and hardened lifters, rendering them useless.
On engines with a lot of sludge and varnish, work the lifters up and down, using carburetor cleaner spray to loosen the deposits.
- Before removing the lifters, arrange to store them in a clearly labeled box to ensure that they're reinstalled in their original locations.
NOTE: On engines equipped with roller lifters, the guide retainer and guide plates must be removed before the lifters and store them where they won't get dirty. (see illustrations).
TURBOCHARGER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Apply pipe sealant with Teflon or equivalent to the water inlet 90-degree elbow fitting. Install the fitting in the turborcharger assembly center housing. Tighten it securely and rotate it clockwise so that the fitting is within 5 degrees of vertical, pointing down.
- Position a new turbocharger gasket on the mounting studs. Make sure that the bead faces out.
- Install the turbocharger assembly on the mounting studs. Note: Use four new mounting studs.
- Install the turbocharger bracket on the two lower studs. Start the two lower retaining nuts followed by the two upper retaining nuts.
- Raise the vehicle and place it securely on jackstands.
- Install the lower bracket-to-block bolt. Tighten it securely.
- Install a new oil return line gasket. Bolt the oil return line fitting to the turbocharger assembly. Tighten the hose clamp securely.
Subject: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1850103380 | ISBN-13: 9781850103387 | Haynes 36082