The 1993-1998 Yamaha Kodiak YFM400FW ATV repair manual by Clymer, covers models indicated.
Book Excerpt: 1993-1998 Yamaha Kodiak YFM400 Repair Manual
ENGINE LOWER END
FRONT SUSPENSION AND STEERING
The recoil starter assembly is mounted on the stator housing. Pulling the rope handle causes the pulley shaft to rotate against spring tension, moving the drive pawl into engagement with the starter pulley on the crankshaft, thereby cranking the engine.
When the rope handle is released, the spring inside the assembly reverses direction of the shaft and winds the rope around the sheave.
Recoil starters are relatively trouble-free. A broken or frayed rope is the most common problem.
RECOIL STARTER HOUSING | REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
- Park the vehicle on level ground. Set the parking brake and block the rear wheels so the vehicle will not roll in either direction.
- Remove the bolts securing the recoil starter housing (Figure 151) to the stator housing. Then remove the starter housing and gasket.
SHOCK ABSORBER | SPRING PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT
TABLE of CONTENTS:
A cam mounted at the bottom of each shock spring allows the springs to be adjusted to 5 preload positions (Figure 5).
The No. 1 position is soft and the No. 5 position is hard. Turn the cam to adjust the spring preload position. Set both front shock absorbers to the same preload position.
- Remove the front wheel(s) as described in this chapter.
- Remove the upper and lower shock absorber mounting nuts and bolts and remove the shock absorber. See Figure 6.
- Inspect the shock absorber as described in this section.
- Clean and dry the shock mounting nuts and bolts.
- General Information
- Lubrication, Maintenance and Tune-up
- Clutch and External Gearshift Linkage
- Transmission and Internal Shift Mechanism
- Fuel and Emission Systems
- Exhaust System
- Electrical System
- Wheels, Tires and Drivetrain
- Front Suspension and Steering
- Rear Suspension
- Body and Frame
- Wiring Diagrams
Subject: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 Yamaha Kodiak YFM400 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892877170 | ISBN-13: 9780892877171 | Clymer M493