The 1975-1984 Yamaha XS250, XS360, XS400 SOHC Twins repair manual by Haynes, covers the following motorcycle models:
- Yamaha XS250P, U.K. 1977-1979
- Yamaha XS250, U.K. 1978-1981
- Yamaha XS250SE US Custom, Special, U.K. 1980-1984
- Yamaha XS250C, U.K. 1981-1982
- Yamaha XS360C, U.S.A. 1975-1976
- Yamaha XS3602D, U.S.A. 1976-1977
- Yamaha XS400, U.K. 1977-1980
- Yamaha XS400SE US Custom, Special, U.K. 1980-1983
- Yamaha XS400D, U.K. 1976-1977
- Yamaha XS400E, U.S.A. 1977-1978
- Yamaha XS400F, XS4002F, U.S.A. 1978-1979
- Yamaha XS400G Special II, U.S.A. 1979-1980
- Yamaha XS400SG Special, U.S.A. 1979-1980
- Yamaha XS400H Special II, U.S.A. 1980-1981
- Yamaha XS400SH Heritage, U.S.A. 1980-1981
- Yamaha XS400SJ Heritage, U.S.A. 1981-1982
The manual, published by Haynes with many of its 158 pages featuring photos and illustrations, can be a godsend to Yamaha motorcycle owners who wish to forego expensive trips to the mechanic and instead learn exactly how to tackle the task of repairing and maintaining their bike themselves. With this guide by your side, it can be done. Learn about the ignition system, the engine, clutch, gearbox, removal of contact breaker points and a lot of other information that can help you become your own mechanic and save thousands on trips to the shop. The manual Yamaha XS 360 is available with free shipping from The Motor Bookstore to the 48 continental United States.
Book Excerpt: 1975-1984 Yamaha XS250, XS360, XS400 SOHC Twin Repair Manual
CONTACT BREAKER POINTS: REMOVAL, RENOVATION AND REPLACEMENT
ENGINE, CLUTCH AND GEARBOX
- If the contact breaker points are burned, pitted or badly worn, they should be removed for dressing. If it is necessary to remove a substantial amount of material before the faces can be restored, the points should be renewed.
- To remove the contact breaker points, unclip the contact breaker leads at their snap connectors. Remove the four slot headed screws thereby releasing both the contact breakers.
Do not unscrew the two crosshead screws that retain the contact breaker back plate, otherwise the ignition will have to be retimed.
The contact breakers can themsellves be separated by removing their circlip and washers and pulling the movable point off the pin, to facilitate inspection and cleaning.
DISMANTLING THE ENGINE/GEARBOX: REMOVING THE GEARCHANGE MECHANISM
- Pull the rubber boot from the left-hand end of the gearchange shaft and pry off the 'E' clip, removing it, together with the washer.
Withdraw the shaft from the right-hand side of the engine and lift the small shouldered pivot bush from the stub shaft projecting from the gear selector arm.
The arm is retained on the extended front gear selector fork rod by an 'E' clip. Remove the 'E' clip and hold the two pawl arms out, away from the change drum pins, to allow removal of the arm.
- Loosen and remove the four screws which hold the two small plates either side of the change drum end. These screws are very tight and will require a concerted attempt to remove them. Special care should be taken when loosening the dome headed screws as the heads are easily damaged.
Subject: 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 Yamaha XS250, XS360, XS400 SOHC Twin service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1850102481 | ISBN-13: 9781850102489 | Haynes 378