This Chilton DIY repair and service manual, covers 1995-2000 Chevy Cavalier and 1995-2000 Pontiac Sunfire, U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1995-2000 Chevy Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
REAR MAIN SEAL | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
2.2L ENGINE (See Figures 185, 186, 187 and 188)
- Jack up the engine and support it safely.
- Remove the transaxle as outlined in Section 7.
- Remove the flywheel.
- Insert a suitable pry tool in through the dust lip and pry out the seal by moving the tool around the seal until it is removed.
NOTE: Use care not to damage the crankshaft seal surface with a pry tool.
- Before installing, lubricate the seal bore to seal surface with engine oil.
- Install the new seal using a suitable seal driver.
- Slide the new seal over the mandrel until the dust lip bottoms squarely against the tool collar.
- Align the dowel pin of the tool with the dowel pin hole in the crankshaft and attach the tool to the crankshaft. Tighten the attaching screws to 2-5 ft. lbs. (2.7 - 6.8 Nm).
- Tighten the T-handle of the tool to push the seal into the bore. Continue until the tool collar is flush against the block.
- Loosen the T-handle completely. Remove the attaching screws and the tool.
NOTE: Check to see that the seal is squarely seated in the bore.
- Install the flywheel and transaxle.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figures 18 and 19)
The blower motor and fan are serviced as an assembly only.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the passenger side sound insulator.
- Detach the electrical connections form the blower motor.
- Remove the blower motor retaining screws, and then remove blower motor and fan assembly.
- Install blower motor and fan assembly, and then secure using the retaining screws.
- If equipped, connect the blower motor cooling tube.
- Attach the electrical connections to the blower motor.
- Install the right side sound insulator.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Subject: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Chevy Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801991145 | ISBN-13: 9780801991141 | Chilton 28322
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams