This Chilton repair manual, covers 1981-1996 Isuzu Rodeo, Amigo, Trooper, and Pickup, (except Hombre), 2WD and 4WD models, with gasoline and diesel engines.
Book Excerpt: 1981-1996 Isuzu Rodeo, Amigo, Trooper Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
FRONT PIPE/CROSSOVER PIPE
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION (See Figures 159 and 160)
NOTE: Safety glasses should be worn at all times when working on or near the exhaust system. Older exhaust systems will almost always be covered with loose rust particles which will shower you when disturbed. These particles are more than a nuisance and could injure your eye.
- Raise and support the front of the truck safely using jackstands.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor(s) electrical connector.
- Remove the oxygen sensor(s). Special oxygen sensor sockets are available to help make removal easier.
- Spray all fasteners which are to be disconnected using a penetrating oil.
- Remove the front pipe(s)-to-manifold(s) nuts and separate (pry, if necessary) the front pipe (usually a ball joint fitting) from the exhaust manifold(s).
- At the catalytic converter, loosen the front pipe-to-converter clamp nuts, and then slide the clamp away from the converter and separate the front pipe from the converter.
NOTE: Use a twisting motion to separate the front pipe-to-converter slip joint connection. If the front pipe cannot be removed from the catalytic converter, use a hammer (to loosen the connection) or wedge tool to separate the connection.
- Inspect the pipe for holes, damage or deterioration; if necessary, replace the front pipe.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
NOTE: Be sure to use a sealing compound, such as 1051249 or equivalent, at the slip joint connection.
- Lubricate the front pipe-to-manifold(s) studs/nuts and the front pipe-to-converter clamp threads. Torque the front pipe-to-exhaust manifold bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) and the front pipe-to-converter clamp nuts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Install the oxygen sensor. Coat the threads with anti-seize compound before installing.
INSTRUMENTS AND SWITCHES
TABLE of CONTENTS:
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
There are two basic designs used for instrumentation and switches on Isuzu trucks. Early models had the lighting and wiper control switches in an instrument cluster pack.
Later models placed all switch control is the combination switch stalks coming from the steering column. The combination switch function combine turn signals, headlights, wiper, cruise control and other options in the combination switch.
If your vehicle is equipped with the combination switch design in a control stalk coming from the steering column, refer to "Combination Switch" for all applicable switches.
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DESIGN
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Move the tilt steering wheel to the full down position, if so equipped.
- Loosen the cluster screws and remove the cluster far enough to disconnect the lighting switch connector.
- Disconnect the wiper and washer connector from the switch.
- Remove the cluster from the hood, if needed.
- Install the cluster to the hood, if removed.
- Connect the wiper and washer connector to the switch.
- Install the cluster and connect the lighting switch connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check operation.
COMBINATION SWITCH DESIGN
NOTE: See Figures 28, 29 and 30
Some late model vehicles incorporate all functions in the combination switch. On early models that just include cruise control in the combination switch, take care to disconnect the wiper, and light control switches when removing the cluster.
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Anti-theft audio system | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
Subject: 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 Isuzu Rodeo, Amigo, Trooper service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 080199134X | ISBN-13: 9780801991349 | Chilton 36100