Find a manual »
Nissan 300ZX Repair Manual 1984-1989
The 1984-1989 Nissan 300ZX DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers Turbo and non-Turbo models.
Complete maintenance, service and repair information for do-it-yourselfer mechanics wanting to take good care of their cars.
Book Excerpt: 1984-1989 Nissan 300ZX Repair Manual
The Nissan 300 ZX is a highly redesigned version of the popular Z series cars. While the Z cars were originally designed as sports cars, the ZX series is intended to fit a more luxurious grand touring image.
Some ZX's come with a turbocharged engine, which uses an exhaust gas powered turbine to force more fuel/air mixture into the cylinders for additional power.
All 300 ZX cars utilize a V6, overhead-cam engine with a computer-controlled electronic fuel injection system, and are available with either a 5-speed manual transmission or a 3-speed automatic transmission.
Power is transmitted through a rear drive differential carrier which transmits power to the independently suspended rear wheels by driveaxles which incorporate the use of Constant Velocity (CV) joints to join them to the carrier.
Two body styles are available; the 2-seater version and the roomier, slightly longer 2 + 2 (4-seater) version. Either version can be obtained with the GL or GLL styling/convenience package.
Further information on the various systems and components, as well as complete specifications, can be found in the appropriate individual Chapters.
COOLING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
FAN AND FAN SHROUD | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 11.2, 11.3a, 11.3b, 11.4 and 11.5)
- Disconnect the negative cable at the battery. Place the cable out of the way so it cannot accidentally come in contact with the negative terminal of the battery, as this would once again allow power into the electrical system of the vehicle.
- Remove the radiator shroud retaining bolt securing the shroud to the upper crossmember (see illustration).
- From under the vehicle, use a small screwdriver to remove the three retaining clips attaching the shroud to the radiator. Remove the clips by prying up on the retaining clip until the clip can be pried over its plastic retaining tab (see illustrations).
At this point the shroud can be lifted out of the engine compartment.
- Remove the fan and fan coupling from the water pump by removing the four retaining nuts (see illustration).
- To separate the fan from the fluid coupling, remove the four retaining bolts (see illustration).
- The fan assembly is installed by reversing the above steps. Tighten all fasteners to the proper torque.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
About this manual | Introduction to the Nissan 300 ZX | Vehicle identification numbers | Buying parts | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Jacking and towing | Booster battery (jump) starting | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Conversion factors | Fraction/decimal/millimeter equivalents | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 Nissan 300ZX service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1850105634 | ISBN-13: 9781850105633 | Haynes 72010
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- V6 engine
- General engine overhaul procedures
- Cooling heating and air conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions and engine control systems
- Manual transmission
- Automatic transmission
- Clutch and drivetrain
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Publisher: Haynes Manuals
- Pages: 314 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.5 x 11 inches
- ISBN: 978-1-85010-563-3