Find a manual »
Nissan Frontier 1998-2004, Xterra 2000-2004, Pathfinder 1996-2004 Repair Manual
The 1998-2004 Nissan Frontier DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers pickup trucks, plus 2000-2004 Xterra and 1996-2004 Pathfinder SUVs. All 2WD and 4WD models with 2.4L 4-cylinder, 3.3L and 3.5L V6 engines.
Note: This manual does not include info specific to supercharged engine models.
Book Excerpt: Nissan Frontier 1998-2004, Xterra 2000-2004, Pathfinder 1996-2004 Repair Manual
INTRODUCTION TO THE NISSAN FRONTIER, XTERRA AND PATHFINDER
Nissan Frontier pick-ups are available in regular cab, king cab and crew cab (four-door) body styles. Xterra and Pathfinder models are available in four-door body styles only.
Frontiers and Xterras are available with an inline four-cylinder engine or a 3.3L V6 engine. Pathfinders are available with V6 engines only. All engines used in these vehicles are equipped with electronic fuel injection.
The chassis layout is conventional with the engine mounted at the front and the power being transmitted through either a four-speed automatic or five-speed manual transmission and driveshaft to the rear axle. On 4WD models a transfer case transmits the power through a driveshaft to the front differential, which powers the front wheels through independent driveaxles.
All models have independent front suspension - Frontier and Xterra models use torsion bars and shock absorbers, while Pathfinders have MacPherson struts.
All models have a solid rear axle - Frontier and Xterra models are suspended by leaf springs, while Pathfinders have coil spring rear suspension.
Frontier and Xterra models all have conventional recirculation-ball type steering gear. Pathfinders all have rack-and-pinion steering. Most models have power steering, the exception being base-model 2WD pick-ups.
The brakes are disc at the front and drums at the rear, with power assist standard. 2WD Frontiers are equipped with a rear Anti-lock Brake System (ABS). Xterras, Pathfinders and 4WD Frontiers all have four-wheel ABS.
BRAKE DISC | INSPECTION, REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 5.2, 5.3, 5.4a, 5.4b, 5.5a and 5.5b)
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts, raise the front of the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Apply the parking brake. Remove the wheel.
- Remove the brake caliper (but don't disconnect the brake line or hose from the caliper) and suspend it out of the way with a piece of wire (see illustration).
CAUTION: Don't let the caliper hang by the brake hose. Remove the brake pads (see Section 3).
- Visually inspect the disc surface for score marks and other damage (see illustration). Light scratches and shallow grooves are normal after use and won't affect brake operation.
Deep grooves - over 0.015-inch (0.38 mm) deep - require disc removal and refinishing by an automotive machine shop. Be sure to check both sides of the disc.
- To check disc runout, place a dial indicator at a point about 1/2-inch from the outer edge of the disc (see illustration). Set the indicator to zero and turn the disc.
The indicator reading should not exceed the allowable runout listed in this Chapter's Specifications. If it does, the disc should be refinished by an automotive machine shop.
NOTE: To produce a smooth finish and ensure a perfectly smooth surface - thereby eliminating brake pedal pulsation or any other undesirable symptoms - the discs should be resurfaced regardless of the dial indicator reading.
If you elect not to have the discs resurfaced, deglaze them with sandpaper or emery cloth (see illustration).
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Subject: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Nissan Frontier 1998-2004, Xterra 2000-2004, Pathfinder 1996-2004 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563926105 | ISBN-13: 9781563926105 | Haynes 72031
- Introduction: Vehicle identification numbers; Buying parts; Maintenance techniques, and more.
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- 2.4L four-cylinder engine
- 3.3L V6 engine
- 3.5L V6 engine
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Transfer case
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Publisher: Haynes Manuals
- Pages: 400 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.25 x 10.75 inches
- ISBN: 978-1-56392-610-5