The 2002-2011 MINI Cooper, Cooper S, Clubman, Clubman S DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers models indicated, including the Convertible and the extended wheelbase Cooper Clubman.
Coverage includes the turbocharged and supercharged editions with a 1.3L inline, four-cylinder engine.
Book Excerpt: 2002-2011 MINI Cooper, Cooper S, Clubman, Clubman S Repair Manual
MK II ENGINE
TIMING CHAIN, VANOS UNIT(S)/SPROCKET AND TENSIONER | GENERAL INFORMATION, REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
GENERAL INFORMATION (Refer to ill. 6.4a, 6.4b and 6.4c)
- The timing chain drives the camshafts from a toothed sprocket on the end of the crankshaft.
- The chain should be replaced if a sprocket or chain is worn, indicated by excessive lateral play between the links and excessive noise in operation.
It is wise to replace the chain in any case if the engine is to be disassembled for overhaul. Note that the rollers on a very badly worn chain may be slightly grooved. To avoid future problems, if there is any doubt at all about the condition of the chain, replace it.
- The timing chain and guides are removed as a complete assembly and are withdrawn out through the top of the cylinder head.
- To check the wear of the timing chain, a special tool is required. Insert the tool into the cylinder head where the tensioner fits (see illustration), and tighten the outer part.
Run the threaded center part of the tool in until it contacts the timing chain guide and tighten it hand-tight (see illustration). Lock the nut on the center thread and remove the special tool.
Check the length of the tool to make sure that it does not exceed 68mm (see illustration).
REMOVAL (Refer to illustrations 6.8, 6.11, 6.12, 6.13, 6.14a, 6.14b, 6.15a, 6.15b, 6.17a, 6.17b, 6.17c, 6.18a and 6.18b)
- Remove the valve cover (see Section 4).
- Set the engine in the reference position for the crankshaft and camshaft (see Section 3).
- Loosen the crankshaft pulley center hub retaining bolt. To prevent the crankshaft turning while the bolt is being loosened on manual transaxle models, select 5th gear and have an assistant apply the brakes firmly.
On automatic transaxle models it will be necessary to remove the starter motor (see Chapter 5) and lock the driveplate with a suitable tool.
If the engine has been removed from the vehicle, lock the flywheel ring gear as described in Section 12. Do not attempt to lock the pulley by inserting a bolt-drill through the timing hole.
If the locking pin is in position (as shown in illustration 3.4), temporarily remove it prior to loosening the bolt, then install it once the bolt has been loosened.
ATE (SLIDING) CALIPERS
REMOVAL (Refer to illustration 5.6)
- If you're working on an Mk I model, use a screwdriver to pry off the caliper retaining spring (see illustration 4.3).
- If you're working on a Mk I model, pry out the plastic caps, then loosen and remove the upper and lower caliper guide pins (see illustrations 4.4a and 4.4b). If you're working on an Mk II model, remove the caliper mounting bolts (see illustration 4.17).
Lift the caliper away from the brake disc, then unscrew the caliper from the end of the brake hose. On Mk I models, pull the inner pad from the caliper piston.
Subject: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 MINI Cooper and Clubman (all models, including the "S"), service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563929201 | ISBN-13: 9781563929205 | Haynes 67020