- GOING OUT OF PRINT - LIMITED QUANTITY -
The 1984-1988 Mercedes-Benz 190 DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 4-cylinder gasoline engine models.
Note: this manual does not cover Mercedes diesel engine or 190E 2.6 models.
Book Excerpt: 1984-1988 Mercedes-Benz 190 Repair Manual
The Mercedes-Benz 190 was introduced in North America in 1984. The innovative new model heralded a departure from traditional Mercedes thinking, and marked the first venture into the medium-sized sedan market by one of the world's most respected manufacturers of large quality cars.
The models covered by this manual feature traditional, solid, practical Mercedes design and engineering, with new advances in automotive technology, foremost among them being the meticulous attention to ride quality and handling.
This has been achieved by further refining the proven MacPherson strut front suspension arrangement, used extensively by other manufacturers but not previously by Mercedes, and combining this with a new multi-link independent rear suspension.
The model ranges is not extensive, offering just one body style, but with a choice of engines and options to enhance the package. The cars covered by this manual are all four door sedans powered by a four cylinder overhead camshaft fuel injected engine.
The engine is mounted longitudinally, and drives the rear wheels through a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission.
DASH PANEL AND CENTER CONSOLE SWITCHES | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Before removing any switches, disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery, and reconnect it on completion.
DASH SWITCHES (Refer to illustration 16.3)
- To remove the switches on either side of the instrument panel, carefully pry one end of the relevant switch out of its location using a knife blade or thin screwdriver. Protect the dash face as you do this.
- Remove the complete switch and disconnect the electrical connector at the rear (see illustration).
- To install, connect the electrical connector and push the switch into position, one end at a time.
HEADLIGHT SWITCH (Refer to illustrations 16.6, 16.7 & 16.8)
- Remove the cover under the dash on the driver's side.
- Using pliers and a protective cloth, carefully pull off the switch knob (see illustration).
- Using a small screwdriver, pry out the beam control rotary switch (see illustration). Disconnect the vacuum hoses, detach the bulb holder and remove the switch.
- Unscrew the main lighting switch retaining nut (see illustration) and remove the switch from behind the dash. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the switch.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
Wikipedia Link: Mercedes-Benz 190
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 Mercedes-Benz 190 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1850106436 | ISBN-13: 9781850106432 | Haynes 63015