The 1983-2002 Kawasaki KX60, KX80 off-road DIY bike repair manual by Clymer covers:
- Kawasaki KX60 1983-2002
- Kawasaki KX80 1983-1990
This manual comes packed with easy-to-follow text instructions and hundreds of sharp, close-up photos and illustrations, so you can service, maintain or fix your Kawasaki dirt bike like pro mechanics do.
Book Excerpt: 1983-2002 Kawasaki KX60, KX80 Repair Manual
ENGINE LOWER END
TRANSMISSION AND INTERNAL SHIFT MECHANISM
The engine sprocket is mounted on the left end of the transmission countershaft, with a sleeve and O-ring inside of it. The sprocket is secured with a circlip.
- Remove the engine sprocket cover (Figure 10).
- Remove the circlip securing the engine sprocket with circlip pliers.
- Remove the engine sprocket (Figure 11). If necessary, remove the spacer (Figure 12) and O-ring (Figure 13).
- Installation is the reverse of these steps. Always install a new circlip and make sure it is correctly seated in the transmission shaft groove.
The transmission and internal shift mechanism (shift drum and forks) are all basically the same. The transmission on all models is a 6-speed unit.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
To gain access to the transmission and internal shift mechanism it is necessary to remove the engine and split the crankcase (Chapter Five).
Once the crankcase has been split, the transmission, shift drum and forks can easily be removed as described in Chapter Five.
Transmission ratios are listed in Table 1. Table 1 and Table 2 are found at the end of the chapter.
The basic transmission has 6 pairs of constantly meshed gears (Figure 1) on the mainshaft (A) and countershaft (B). Each pair of meshed gears gives one gear ratio. In each pair, one of the gears is locked to its shaft and always turns with it.
The other gear is not locked to its shaft and can spin freely on it. Next to each free spinning gear is a third gear which is splined to the same shaft, always turning with it.
The third gear can slide from side-to-side along the shaft splines.
- General Information
- Lubrication, Maintenance and Tune-up
- Clutch and External Gearshift Linkage
- Transmission and Internal Shift Mechanism
- Fuel and Emission Systems
- Exhaust System
- Electrical System
- Wheels, Tires and Drivetrain
- Front Suspension and Steering
- Rear Suspension
- Body and Frame
- Wiring Diagrams
Subject: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Kawasaki KX60, KX80 service, maintenance and repair info. ISBN-10: 0892878320 | ISBN-13: 9780892878321 | Clymer M444-2