Find a manual »
Kawasaki Bayou KLF400 Repair Manual 1993-1999
The 1993-1999 Kawasaki Bayou KLF400 repair manual by Clymer covers models indicated.
Book Excerpt: 1993-1999 Kawasaki Bayou KLF400 ATV Repair Manual
POOR MEDIUM- OR HIGH-SPEED PERFORMANCE
Refer to Engine is Difficult to Start, then check the following:
- Incorrect fuel level.
- Incorrect jet needle clip position (if adjustable).
- Clogged or loose main jet.
- Clogged air filter.
- Other considerations:
- Clutch slippage.
- Brake drag.
- Engine oil level too high.
- Final gear case oil level too high.
- Engine oil viscosity too high.
ENGINE STARTING SYSTEM
This section describes troubleshooting procedures for the electrical starting system. You need a fully charged battery, ohmmeter and jumper cables to troubleshoot the starting system.
An electric starter motor is installed on all KLF400 models. The starter motor is mounted horizontally (Figure 9) behind the cylinder. Figure 10 shows a schematic of the starting system and its components.
The electric starting system requires a fully charge battery to provide the large amount of current needed to operate the starter motor. A charge coil (mounted on the stator plate) and a voltage regulator keep the battery charged while the engine is running. The battery can also be charged externally.
ENGINE TOP END
CYLINDER HEAD INSPECTION
- Remove all traces of gasket material from the cylinder head and cylinder mating surfaces. Do not scratch the gasket surfaces.
- Without removing the valves, remove all carbon deposits from the combustion chamber (Figure 36). Use a fine wire brush dipped in solvent or make a scraper from hardwood. Take care not to damage the head, valves or spark plug threads.
- Examine the spark plug threads in the cylinder head for damage. If damage is minor or if the threads are dirty or clogged with carbon, use a spark plug thread tap to clean the threads following the manufacturer's instructions.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Subject: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Kawasaki KLF400 service, repair. ISBN-10: 0892877391 | ISBN-13: 9780892877393 | Clymer M467
- General Information
- Lubrication, Maintenance and Tune-up
- Clutch and External Gearshift Linkage
- Transmission and Internal Shift Mechanism
- Fuel and Emission Systems
- Exhaust System
- Electrical System
- Wheels, Tires and Drive Chain
- Front Suspension and Steering
- Rear Suspension
- Body and Frame
- Wiring Diagrams
- Publisher: Clymer Manuals
- Pages: 394 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 7 x 10 inches
- ISBN: 978-0-89287-739-3